Need advice for calcium hardness testing

NJ-Bob

Silver Supporter
Jun 15, 2014
Bridgewater, NJ
Hi, I have done several tests on my pool for calcium hardness but I am having trouble pinpointing the level. I use a Taylor test kit.
The first few times, after adding the calcium hardness liquid, I would get more of a magenta color than a true red. Adding the hardness reagent would turn the solution to a bluish-purple instead of a definitive blue. There would be a range of a several drops to get from where it looked plain purple to start getting a bluish hue.

Finally, I noticed something in the instructions about metal ion interference and that adding some hardness reagent before would bind those ions. I tried this by adding 6 drops of hardness reagent to the 25 ml sample but still got the magenta and bluish purple. However, after getting to 24 drops and not seeing anymore change after swirling, I set it down and to do something else and came back in 2 or 3 minutes. The solution was now totally blue.

The instructions don't say anything about a very slow color change. How fast is it supposed to happen? Should one drop take it from red to blue? Or is it supposed to be a gradual color change with several drops needed after going from red/magenta to a definite blue?

This is a 6 year old pool but I am the new owner since December so I don't know what has been put in it.

During these tests the other levels were as follows:
FC 1 - 5 ppm
pH 7.5 - 7.7
TA 140 - 150 ppm
CYA 42 - 46

That did the trick! I had used the hardness reagent pre-treatment before with a 25 ml sample and the color change was very gradual and hard to pinpoint but with the 10 ml sample it came quickly at the 7th drop for a 175 ppm level. Since each drop represents 25 ppm, this is not as accurate but I interpret this to be the upper limit of the actual level. If I need to be more accurate (which I don't believe I do), I can not use the 25 ml sample and know that I should reach the endpoint with no more than 18 drops.

I would have tried the diluted test but I did not have any distilled water handy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.