Phosfree Clogged Filters

Jul 16, 2014
Louisville
I have been fighting what I think is Mustard Algae. It was recommended to lower phosphates using phosfree. So I did ... Anyway I tried.
I following the instructions and within 4 hours the pressure on my new cartridge filter was about 30 (started at 10). I continued to let the filter run for 48 hours as instructed.

After 48 hours, my cartridge pressure is 40. I soaked the cartridge in a Filter fresh type product, used a car wash pressure hose to clean it out and put it back on. The pressure started at 10 and then 20, 30 and soon.

How is the heck fire can I unclogged my new $100 cartridge ?

I should have known better because I have been bitten by phosfree before...

Help

Welcome to TFP!

We recommend avoiding phos-free. Phosphates are not a problem if you maintain appropriate FC levels.

Meanwhile, you should rinse off your filter more frequently until things return to normal. There isn't usually any long term damage to the filter.

Sadly, your experience is common.

I suspect the profit margin on phos-free is really good, hence the frequent recommendation to use it.

It's interesting how seldom the pool stores follow the Instructions. (Click to open popup)
For DE & Cartridge Filters: Do not add more than 1.5L (48oz) at a time. If more than 1.5L (48oz) is needed to treat, be sure to clean or backwash the filter between treatments.
Important: Algae must be treated prior to testing and lowering phosphates. Chlorine must be under 5ppm before testing phosphates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.