Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pump Suction Fitting

1. Back To Top    #1

Pump Suction Fitting

I am looking to install a Pentair Whisperflo WFDS-28 or -6. I see it has a 2 inch female pipe thread on the suction. What is the best practice for the male fitting? It seems best to go up to 2 1/2 inch on the suction pipe. Do they make a 2 inch MPT to 2 1/2 slip coupling?

I think I saw on another thread a union fitting that might be nice. I have seen pros and cons to unions. The pro being flexibility to remove and the con being air leaks.

Also, what is the best material for this fitting? just PVC?

All comments are appreciated.
    18k gallon plaster with spa, Hayward 60 DE filter, Jandy Legacy heater, Polaris + PB40-60 booster, Pac Fab 700 2hp pump, stone waterfall 1hp pump, stone age timers

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pump Suction Fitting

You want CPVC for several inches next to the pump. Pumps get hot sometimes, and CPVC is much more heat resistant. Typically you use a section of threaded CPVC, and then change the size up to 2 1/2" a couple of inches away from the pump.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Chris43 View Post
    I think I saw on another thread a union fitting that might be nice. I have seen pros and cons to unions. The pro being flexibility to remove and the con being air leaks.
    I think I've seen as many reports of air leaks due to poor threaded connections and messed up slip connections (usually to flexPVC) than I've seen of poor union connections. It doesn't take much care to get a union connection rock solid, you almost have to work hard to cause a failure there. The pros outweighs the cons in my opinion.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks. Is 2" female pipe thread to 2 1/2 inch slip an available fitting? I see a 2" to 3" threaded bushing that costs $28 on Amazon.

What fitting is normally used to go from 2" to 2 1/2"?
    18k gallon plaster with spa, Hayward 60 DE filter, Jandy Legacy heater, Polaris + PB40-60 booster, Pac Fab 700 2hp pump, stone waterfall 1hp pump, stone age timers

5. Back To Top    #5

If you wanted to go CPVC, Lasco has a pricey adaptor (P/N 9838292) that is 2-1/2 SLIP on one side and 2" FPT on the other side. That would require you to use a CPVC nipple from the adaptor to the pump. If you used regular PVC there's a direct adaptor (P/N 436252) that would do the job.
    21K gal 16' x 40' in-ground pool built 1959, old school with Jacuzzi bronze pump, American Products 24" Sand Filter & Americana Multiport valve, Jandy Lite2 millivolt heater, Coverstar cover, and classic Kreepy Krauly.

6. Back To Top    #6

I had lost my catalogue page link for Praher fittings when I originally posted to your question. Here's a link if you haven't already performed your plumbing parts selection. Praher has great unions meant for pumps. The 225-9061 seems to be just what you were looking for.

http://www.prahervalves.com/pdf/union906.pdf