Constant Algae regrowth on pool bottom

I have a re-occurring issue with algae forming on the bottom of my pool. The water stays clear but the bottom grows a thin layer over a few days. Recently slammed and cleaned ~20ppm chlorine for 4 days. ONCL dropped by 0.5 over 2 nights CC hovers at 0.5 sometimes 0. Any extra troubleshooting tips?

PH 7.6
FC 12
CC 0.5
TA 100
CA 300
CYA 50
Borate 30

Chlorine source: Bleach (chlorine feeder not in use)

Keep your FC up and brush the pool 2x a week.

Before this SLAM, was the pool really cloudy and green?

Thanks. Will keep vacuuming and brushing.

Pool water was in poor shape before this slam, cloudy with a hint of green turning grey/milky as the slam levels took hold . Prior to this I got it clear (for just over a week) but it bloomed again hence the most recent slam. Do I need to keep FC at shock levels? Thought 12 to mid teens was pretty high for normal running (lowest FC has dropped to is 9).

At some point (and for more than just an few hours) your FC in your pool has been allowed to drift below a acquaintance level of 4-6 ppm. Algae does not grow in an environment where the chlorine is consistently adequate.

I suggest reading "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. When you have a good grasp on that article, read "SLAM" in the "How To" section.

The SLAM is what you will need to do to get your pool back into an algae-free condition.

IF ... you went through a SLAM and passed and you did keep your FC above the minimum there is also a chance you have a spot of algae that the chlorine wasn't able to kill !!

If you have removeable steps, pull them and clean them throughly top, bottom and sides. If you have a light it needs to be removed and the back of it and the niche it sits in cleaned too.

Casey said brush 2X a week ?? I think he meant to say daily. I would surely recommend sweeping the entire pool once a day and if your arms aren't dead from that, twice.

For maintenance, I mean 2x's a week but after reading your second post, I don't think you completed the SLAM and that negates my 2x's a week brushing.

You need to complete the SLAM down to the letter and finish the algae off. You must pass the OCLT in it's entirety before you stop.

Thanks for all your comments. I think the removable steps may be a big part of the problem. The problem is they will not come out. From photos of the house before I owned it I think this has been the case for at least 3 years. I bet they are full of the stuff. It looks possible to unscrew the actual steps from the upright loops. I am wondering if I could remove each step to manipulate each loop individually to see if I can get them out. Anyone tried this or know if it is possible. My other thought was to get a solid lump of wood or metal and see if a 3 ton trolley jack will shift it.

Proceeding back to SLAM levels whilst I see what I can do with the ladder. I have a light and have cleaned it. Will do it again anyway.

These are the steps in question. Closer inspection leads me to believe that it will not be simple to separate the steps from the uprights. Any suggestions to get them out? They do not move at all, even with some encouragement from a rather large hammer :(

View attachment 31974
They have a wedge, like the gooseneck on a bicycle handlebar. You should be able to loosen the bolt and tap on the head with a hammer and punch and push the wedge down. Once it's broke free, unscrewing it further should allow it to lift out. Check this thread: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/74290-Ladder-Removal

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for your help. The ladder did have a serious wedgie. I am sure it is more comfortable now! Unfortunately this has not enabled me to remove the ladder. It is still jammed in tight. I have gone round the top with a small screwdriver to remove the hardened gunk. Still no joy. Dark now so I will try again tomorrow. I have managed to get the white end caps off of the bottom of the ladder. Will see if I can get something inside to clean it out if I am still unable to move them.

If you're talking about those rubber plugs you want to be careful with the ladder with them off. Could gouge the fiberglass. Remember to replace them before you start pulling on it trying to get it out !!

Attachments

• Ladder_Bumpers.jpg
    Ladder_Bumpers.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 60
Spent the morning working on the ladder. The bolt from the ladder was pretty much touching the ground so I managed to get an extension bar from a socket set in there and tap the wedge down further. The wedges themselves seem pretty free now. I have used WD 40 generously on the ladder base. Using a larger screwdriver and hammer I have gone round the base using the screwdriver like a chisel to get the hardened debris out. One leg of the ladder will move back and forth a little. The other is still being totally stubborn. No sign of either lifting at the moment. I have used the trolley jack for additional umpth and leverage, just applying and removing pressure to wiggle the upright back and forth in the base. Will keep at it but also grateful for any other ideas.

WD-40 does make a penetrating oil but if you just have the blue and yellow can of WD-40 that isn't the penetrating oil and it's far from a good thing to use to get in there and loosen a rusted or corroded fitting. You should get an actual penetrating fluid like P.B. Blaster.
I work on a lot of cars steering and suspension parts, trust me on this one. WD-40 is almost a dry lubricant and works great to clean tools and dry out ignition system components but it's pretty limited after that. You spray it on but almost all of it evaporates quickly.

Attachments

• Penetrating lube PB blaster.jpg
    Penetrating lube PB blaster.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 49
  • Penetrating lube WD40.jpg
    Penetrating lube WD40.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 50
Finally got it out. Thanks for the penetrating oil tip, even though I did not get to it. Having loosened one leg a fraction (I could see the water and lubricant move and bubble ever so slightly), I kept at the other leg and got it close to the same point. No upwards movement, just a little play forward and back / side to side. Using the front of the ladder I kept pushing each side with my legs to try and get the ladder to twist in the holes and alternating this with using the trolley jack to get some back and forth motion. Eventually I heard the POP as the ladder broke free. Using the trolley jack I was able to lift it out.

Observations:-
Think the screwdriver clearing between the ladder leg and the in ground support helped get that first bit of motion into the legs
I would expect that the lubrication did help, but that the penetrating oil would have been a better bet as mentioned by kiss4afrog.
using the front of the ladder as a giant lever to give a horizontal twist to the legs in the in ground support is where I got the breakthrough.
Using the trolly jack helped finally lift it out.
The trolley jack on its own simply bends the ladder out of shape whilst putting pressure on the in ground mount. This does little to help lift the ladder out. At most is loosens things up. In the end a combination of the trolley jack and pushing the rear of the ladder towards the pool helped give the combination of lift and vertical alignment to get the leg free of the sides.
Took about a day and a half to get this done, so I suppose "don't give up" is a top tip.

Thanks for all your help and support. Kept me motivated and provided great advice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.