Pool won't hold chlorine!

Jul 10, 2014
Norristown, PA
Okay! So I got my TFT lot today and was very excited to use it!

I already slammed my pool last week and now it will hold chlorine but not enough. Here are my numbers using my new TF-1000 kit today.

ph= 7.8
Fc= .5
Cc= .5
CH= 300
TA= 90
CYA= 30

Each night I have been adding a gallon of Clorox Concentrated 8% (7.8% available) bleach. It gets up to 3PPM in the morning then by evening down to .5PPm

Prior to this week and slamming the pool, my pool read 0 chlorine no matter how much chlorine I added. Finally slammed it and now it holds some chlorine but not enough.

Why do you all do to keep the chlorine at 3PPM? Do you add bleach everyday like I am doing? Do you use pucks?

I need help!

Thanks!!

2.5 ppm is not an excessive loss for a day. 2 is your minimum recommended level for your CYA. Since you are losing 2.5 ppm a day, you should probably target a level of 5 or 6. That way after you lose your 2.5 ppm you will still be above your minimum. And yes, we do add bleach every day.

You probably want to raise your CYA up to at least 40ppm. I start the season with CYA in the mid 20's and add pucks to help with the liquid chlorine which also raises the CYA till mid summer when I hit the low 40's on CYA. I then go 100% liquid chlorine. Each puck adds about 1.7ppm CYA so I count them. I have a auto cover so early on I don't lose a lot to CL to sun when the cover is closed. When I'm at 30ppm CYA I keep my FC at 6ppm and when I'm at CYA of 40ppm I keep the FC at 7ppm. You may want to increase the upper end of your FC target everyday because your FC is dropping into the danger zone by the end of the day.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.