Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool...test results

1. Back To Top    #1

New pool...test results

Got a new pool installed on tuesday....almost full and did a water test tonight as follows:

FC= 0

PH= 7.2

TA=20ppm

CYA=0

Did pool math and it said to add....74 oz of 12.5% bleach.. 1.5 lbs of borax and 19lbs of baking soda...

My question is should I add the baking soda and wait a day to see if the PH goes up or wont baking soda raise it that much??

Excited to get this thing running with crystal clear water !!

Thanks for the help
    18,500 AG, VINYL..27' ROUND.. HAYWARD 24" SAND FILTER W/ HAYWARD 1 HP POWERFLO.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New pool...test results

After adding baking soda, you should give it an hour (or more) to mix in with the pump running, and then re-test the PH before adjusting PH.

You can go ahead and start adjusting chlorine and CYA levels meanwhile.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thats what I thought.....thats alot of baking soda !!

Should I add algecide as a preventive or no?

4. Back To Top    #4

No algaecide is needed in a properly maintained pool... Algae simply can't live in it. Just get your CYA and chlorine started and you will be good to go.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks....got bleach, baking soda and stabilizer....pool is almost full ,I will plumb it and fire it up tomorrow.

Should I add the chemicals to the skimmer or walk around the pool when I add them? My old pool....I just dumped them in anywhere...since this is brand new with a non faded liner etc...I want to do it right !!

Thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

Current: Singapore Previous: Clayton, Victoria, Australia