Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: skimmer not getting suction

1. Back To Top    #1

skimmer not getting suction

Hi everyone,

I just slammed my pool for the first time and the chlorine is finally maintaining the way it should! But, now, I am noticing that the skimmer is getting hardly any suction. It used to spiral with a lot of suction in the pool skimmer basket, but now it is so slight it hardly is working at all. The pool jets are still pumping out water into the pool just fine, though.

Any thoughts on what the problem is here / how to fix it? Is this something I should call the pool company to handle or can I fix it easily on my own?

Thanks!

Katie
    40 x 19 oval in-ground pool, average 4.8ft deep located in Monroe, CT
    chlorine feeder attached

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: skimmer not getting suction

Did you change any valves? Have you cleaned the filter? What is your filter pressure? What is your clean filter pressure?
    Post pictures of your equipment and plumbing and add more useful information to your signature (pump and filter models, etc), please.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Has the filter pressure gone up?

Have you vacuumed recently such that the pump basket is clogged or the impeller inside could have pine needles stuck inside it?
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

The "spiral" was never a good thing. What is your current psi when the filter is clean? What was it before ypu performed the SLAM?
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Sorry for the delay in responding. I will try to post pics soon...my filter psi is 10, which is the same before the SLAM. Why was the spiral a bad thing?
    40 x 19 oval in-ground pool, average 4.8ft deep located in Monroe, CT
    chlorine feeder attached

6. Back To Top    #6

Because it could result in air being pulled in through the skimmer.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Not to highjack but, after replacing my skimmer line you should see mine "spiral". I had to go get a beer and watch it for a while. Was such an improvement from the "no spiral - barley any water moving". My spiral isn't enough that it would suck air, I don't think. I'll get another beer tonight!
    18x36 Buster Crab in ground, 3' shallow 8' deep, Hayward super pump, 300lb sand filter.

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
    Not to highjack but, after replacing my skimmer line you should see mine "spiral". I had to go get a beer and watch it for a while. Was such an improvement from the "no spiral - barley any water moving". My spiral isn't enough that it would suck air, I don't think. I'll get another beer tonight!
    You could always put a rock in the basket (bigger than the hole in the bottom of the skimmer please) to breakup the vortex if it becomes an issue.
    Jason, TFP Moderator