Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: My SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

My SWG

How do I tell when my SWG cell has kicked the bucket? I can't keep any FC in my pool this year, it's 5 years old. I see the bubbles when it's generating but I don't think it's doing the job right.
    16 x 32 18,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, Compupool SWG, 1.0HP Pentair pump, sand filter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: My SWG

Your SWG is the least of your worries right now ... focus on your other thread.

If it is making bubbles, it is likely working, but can not keep up with the organics in the water and the possibly low CYA.

Once you complete the SLAM and are maintaining the pool with bleach ... then start to work on the SWG.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok I have my water crystal clear and I'm loving it, just coming off the slam. So now I need to figure out if my SWG is doing its job. I know I'm going to lose chlorine during the day, haven't figured out what that loss is going to be yet, still testing it. So once I figure out daily FC loss how do I figure out if my SWG is doing its job or not? Thanks
    16 x 32 18,000 gallon vinyl liner inground pool, Compupool SWG, 1.0HP Pentair pump, sand filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

You can treat the output of the SWG, either at the wall out right after the cell and see if the FC is higher than the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    You can treat the output of the SWG, either at the wall out right after the cell and see if the FC is higher than the pool.
    I don't have anyway to test it, it goes straight into the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Why can't you test it where it enters the pool?
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

What Jason is saying is take a water sample at the pool return and test it. Then take a sample from an area that's distant from the return and test that. If the sample at the return tests higher than the other sample, then your SWG is generating chlorine.
    13'x22'x52" 8,000 gallon ProSeries Pool with Borates
    Intex 110 pound Sand Filter with Zeobrite, 2650 gph pump, 0.95 hp
    Bestway SWG
    AquaPro ECO500 50,000 BTU heat pump
    GLI Whirlwind Solar Cover Reel, TF-100 Test Kit

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by GreatCanadian View Post
    What Jason is saying is take a water sample at the pool return and test it. Then take a sample from an area that's distant from the return and test that. If the sample at the return tests higher than the other sample, then your SWG is generating chlorine.
    Got ya, thanks. I guess it would help if the SWG is generating.

9. Back To Top    #9

Out of slam and pool is pretty as can be, tested this morning and my numbers are
    FC 6 taking it to 7
    pH 7.6
    TA 200
    CYA 60 taking it to 70
    What do I need to do to lower my TA? Thanks

10. Back To Top    #10

Here is a link from Pool School.

With your TA so high, you ph will be a bit unstable. Adding Muriatic Acid to lower PH will also lower your TA, so over a period of time, it will come down anyhow.
    The SWG provides quite of bit of aeration within the cell, which contributes to the PH rise.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/conte...tal-alkalinity
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!