Newbie considering salt system

Jan 5, 2014
Reynoldsburg, Ohio
I might have a deal on a cheap salt water ionizer, but I am reluctant to switch away from my chlorine setup. Is it possible to run both systems and then gradually back off on chlorine?

Also, for those of you running the salt system; are you noticing quicker corrosion of pumps and equipment.

Finally, would you say that the salt system is cheaper then buying chlorine?

Ok, first thing to remember is an SWG pool is a chlorine pool, you are just generating chlorine on site (separating the Sodium Chloride salt into Sodium and Chlorine), as to economics, under typical cell life conditions cost is about equal to operate and SWG vs adding chlorine manually.

A salt water pool is a chlorine pool. The SWG just creates the FC instead of you having to add it with bleach. And it is not uncommon at all to supplement with bleach when needed, like before/after a big party.

A SWG may not be cheaper than bleach (unless you are getting a great deal). You just pay more upfront instead of continually buying bleach. A SWG is more about convenience than saving money.

I might have a deal on a cheap salt water ionizer, but I am reluctant to switch away from my chlorine setup.

An ionizer is different from a salt chlorine generator. Is this an ionizer or salt chlorine generator?

I see you mentioned "cheep salt water...". Is this a new or used unit? Is it discontinued closeout? What make/model? I had a customer call me a few weeks ago and she was looking at what she thought was a good deal on a certain brand unit and it appears the manufacturer is closing it out which could make parts expensive and hard to find. Depending the condition, make, model, etc. it may or may not be a good deal for you.

If you value your time, the cost of gas to go buy Cl and lugging jugs of Cl then yes I would say it is cheaper. The downside is your arms will be shorter from not lugging jugs of Cl.

SWG's are about convenience. The cost relative to jug dumping bleach over the life of an SWG cell is the same.

And even with an SWG you still have to use some bleach because, no matter what the sales literature say, SWGs are not capable of producing chlorine at shock levels needed when you have to do a SLAM.

Also, it's not just a cheap cell that's a factor but also the control electronics as well as any modifications you might need to do in order to tie it into your automation system. An SWG should only run when the pumps are running and so the SWG cell needs to know that.

For example, a Pentair IntelliChlor cell is fairly cheap retailing at $500. The control electronics you need to tie it into the Pentair EasyTouch automation are not that cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And even with an SWG you still have to use some bleach because, no matter what the sales literature say, SWGs are not capable of producing chlorine at shock levels needed when you have to do a SLAM.
From my experience here in Canada where we have seasons there is no reason to need to do a SLAM if your SWCG is working except for the start of the season when the pool is uncovered. Maybe southern climes like AZ are different - the OP doesn't mention where they live.

From my experience here in Canada where we have seasons there is no reason to need to do a SLAM if your SWCG is working except for the start of the season when the pool is uncovered. Maybe southern climes like AZ are different - the OP doesn't mention where they live.

True. Here in AZ we run our pools all year round but typically don't swim between Nov-Apr since water temps are too cold (gas/solar heaters can help with that).

Also you are correct that, under normal circumstances and following the TFPC Method, you can go several seasons without SLAMing. But eventually everyone needs to SLAM at some point.

My pool is only in its first full swim season and I needed to SLAM about a month ago to stop an algae bloom about to happen. The cause was some scuz formation from my waterfall.

The point I was making is that SWGs are incapable of producing FC at the levels needed for a SLAM so you have to keep that in mind and not fool yourself into thinking an SWG is some miracle device and you'll never haul a bleach bottle again. I was deceived that way until I became a TFP member and increased (exponentially) my knowledge of pool water chemistry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the end of May, I've been running my si-45 at 80% for 12 hours and it has been maintaining the FC level right where I want it. I bought 4 jugs of bleach just to be ready if it didn't, but so far haven't used a drop. But the two week vacation I went on, one of the reasons I installed the swg in the first place turned out to be a major success story. Before SWG, I was hauling 10 bottles of it every two weeks. Talk about convenience on at least two levels!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for the info! It is an Intex Krystal Klear saltwater system.

To my knowledge Intex are for above ground pools, although some of the reviews on Walmart say they are using them for in ground pools. Makes sense since the pool guy I have been talking to says my above ground I had held as much water as some in ground smaller pools. It was 26 ft round by 52" deep and I NEVER had to add CL in the four years I ran it and it was crystal clear always. As you can see here
Columbia3009.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

The only up keep I had to do was rinse off the cell every couple of months to get the calcium build up or it would have a false "Low salt" read out on it (found that out the hard way first year.)

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.