Filter Trouble

Jun 25, 2013
Bartlett, TN
I have fought with my pool this whole season.... I had an algae problem early on, then a cloudiness problem. My CYA was out, so my chlorine wasn't holding. I got that resolved and I was able to get the chemistry right in terms of FC, CYA, TA and PH... I have the TFP test kit and I love it! I changed the sand at the beginning of the season too... I checked my spider valve on the filter valve to make sure I wasn't bypassing. I also checked the laterals to make sure they didn't have any breaks or damage...

My problem is that no matter how long I ran that filter, I couldn't get the in-organic particulate matter to filter out... Tried tons of clarifiers from the Pool store and had nothing but grief... Looks like a milk bath. I'm going to just drain it and start over.. It's been 3 years or so since I've drained it. I just want to make sure I don't have this problem again.

What am I doing wrong?

Have you tried a flocculant? It is a stronger clarifier that clumps the particles together where they fall to the floor and can be vacuumed to waste. Sand filters are the least effective at filtering small particles (of the three main types: sand, cartridge, DE). It's best to backwash that junk out, instead of having it going back into the pool. You shouldn't have to drain any of your water unless you want to eliminate some CYA or CH. Have you been keeping the normal and shock chlorine level listed in this chart for you CYA level?

That milkiness/cloudiness could be dead algae.

We don't recommend FLOC's as they are a waste of money and can be a total PAIN to deal with. Without test results, we can just sit here and play darts in the dark.

Your sand filter needs time to do it's job. By brushing the pool daily and running the filter 24/7 and adding DE to the filter, you can clear the pool. Draining it can cause more problems and money in the end by unseating and possibly tearing the liner, causing wrinkles and not to mention the cost of replacing chemicals.

Oh, so flocs are bogus. I always had the impression they worked, but again I've never used them.
Not necessarily bogus ... they might work if the problem is not chemistry related or they might do nothing or they might make problems worse by creating a gooey mess.
Clarifiers, floc, algeacides, etc have a function and might do something, but following our methods there is no need for the added expense.

It's been awhile since I read up on the SLAM process... I should have done that instead of draining it... However, It's down to about a foot of water now, so I'm going to go ahead and fill it. I think I'll test a little bit of what I have just to know what's there....

Should I change my sand again to get rid of all the clarifiers? I used that floc **** and will never do that again...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.