Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: BABES: a better method than BBB for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator

1. Back To Top    #1

BABES: a better method than BBB for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator

Anyone seen this?

1.0 Summary

A swimming pool is an aqueous solution of interacting chemicals that determine appeal and
    safety for swimmers. The chemistry varies widely, depending on what is added to the pool. In
    recent decades, there has been an increasing trend towards domestic outdoor pools that use
    electrolytic salt-water chlorine generators for sanitation (SWC pools). These typically have
    cyanuric acid for photoprotection, and sometimes boric acid for improved pH buffering.
    Critical thinking about the chemistry indicates simple principles for efficient SWC pool
    maintenance, some of which differ from the traditional advice to non-salt pool operators. This
    article describes a simple approach built on the BBB tradition. The improved BABES
    method integrates the use of boric acid for pH buffering, hydrochloric (muriatic) acid to
    correct pH updrift from SWC operation, brushing to help prevent biofilms, electricity and
    common salt for sanitizer production. It explains the contribution of each of these
    components, then explores the scientific basis for the few additional compounds that should
    be considered, and those that should be avoided, for trouble-free SWC pool maintenance.
    Along the way it points out key myths and uncertainties to encourage deeper analysis. It ends
    with a simple set of operational guidelines that an SWC pool operator can adopt with
    confidence, or vary to suit their needs based on the scientific foundations in the article.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~jorobbirch/BABES.pdf
    IG gunite/plaster kidney shaped, 6' dia elevated spa, 14000 total gal;
    pool is 5 ft above pump, pool built 2005;2 skimmers, 4 returns in pool
    hayward cartridge c1200, 120 GPM;AO smith century pump 2spd 1.95 HP 1725/3420 rpm
    hayward h400 NG spa heater;goldline controls AquaLogic AQL-PS-8
    Pentair 320 automatic inline chlorinator;Polaris 380 with PB4 booster pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: BABES: a better method than BBB for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator

We do not use the BBB term anymore ... we refer to it as the Trouble Free Pool Care (TFPC) method.
    Honestly the BABES acronym seems overly confusing to me for pool newbies.

A VERY quick scan of the document did not provide any earth-shattering revelation that we do not already teach.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: BABES: a better method than BBB for pools with a salt-water chlorine generator

Very heavy reading, not something most people will want to attempt.

They recommend borates at 100, which is higher than what I consider the safety limit to be. They also suggest avoiding adding any carbonates (no baking soda) which is alright if you accept borates at 100, except what do you do if your fill water contains carbonates (many places do).
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Just spotted this at the very end:
    Effective management of pH and HOCl levels really are the keys to a ‘trouble-free pool’
    'trouble-free' is use a few times in the article and there are also at least 5 references to specific TFP.com threads
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

5. Back To Top    #5

He reviewed his document with me for comments and he took some from posts here, some from calculations from my spreadsheet, and a lot from his own research of a variety of sources pretty much consistent with what I've found either from similar or the same sources (he has a few things I hadn't found before such as UV absorption curves for bromine). He also writes about Boric Acid as a Swimming Pool Buffer. He found a scientific source that claims there is no surface tension reduction from using borates, but I swear that the meniscus is always flatter every time I've used borates in the water so who knows? He does reference everything. As shown in this link he is a Professor at the University of Queensland.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

6. Back To Top    #6

All the guys just want babes in their pools. :-I
    18' x 48" (42" water depth) Intex Metal Frame 6,700 Gallons
    Hayward Power-Flo LX 1.0 HP pump
    Hayward Pro Series S166T Sand Filter
    Original Intex Floating Skimmer