Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Re-using my sand in new filter?

1. Back To Top    #1

Re-using my sand in new filter?

My existing 300# sand filter has a crack a couple inches from bottom. Not sure how it happened, but after I noticed that my water was going down I checked my fittings and found they were all okay... then found the crack.

I now have a new Hayward 300# filter and was wondering if I can use the old media in the new filter? Since I used pea gravel to cover the laterals in the old filter the sand will have some peas in it. I was thinking I would use the old media and just put a new 50# bag of sand in for last few inches.

Any opinions?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Re-using my sand in new filter?

I would be inclined to use the sand again as I understand it doesn't "go bad". I don't know, however, if the pebbles are an ok addition. Anyone else?

I'm inclined to think if they are too large they are simply taking up space and not doing much good for you as a filter medium.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist $600 w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panel

My backyard is like a park... Why then does DH always want to go camping??? I just don't understand.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Columbia, SC

Mine calls for pebbles as an option at the bottom.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

It is my understanding that the primary filtration is in the top few inches of the filter. Many filters suggest peas in the bottom covering the laterals by a couple of inches. I am wondering if some peas in the main body of the filter will affect it adversely.