Help needed with pool chemistry

Try doing an FC and CC test on your tap water to see what that shows.

Has your Cyanuric acid level been consistent, or has it dropped recently?

Something doesn't seem right with your pH being so low with a SWG and a TA of 110. The pH would tend to rise with that combination, unless something acidic was added. Do you know why the pH is low?

Does the water smell, or have foam?

Have you added anything to kill algae? Perhaps algaecide, copper, Yellow-out, or anything else?

Does the liquid chlorine look and smell like it should? It should be clear yellow with almost no smell. If it is dark, cloudy or smelly, it might be bad.

Note: Don't intentionally smell liquid chlorine, bleach or any other chlorine source.

Tested the tap water
OTO stayed clear
FAS-DPD stayed clear as well after adding the powder agent.

I'll do the OCLT tonight, forget to turn off the SWG.

Liquid chlorine looks yellow and has no smell.

Nothing added for algea. (i've never had any visible algea)

I did add 5.25 lbs. of stabilizer back in May/June as the CYA was almost 0. I've always had problems keeping the CYA at a consistent level.
I did add something for phosphates a few weeks back as well. Pool start said phosphates were over 1000+.

I do use well water to fill the pool as needed (no water softener).

I'm beginning to think draining would be the simplist solution.

Did you test the pH again? Chemicals may react unexpectedly when pH is very low. If pH is still reading 6.8 raise it to 7.0. You may need to do this a couple of times before it rises to 7.0, since it could be lower than the 6.8 on the test.

With mixed answers about the hi level of CC. I decided to just leave the cover open all day on the pool and let the FC level drop.
Just got thru testing and here is what I have now.
FC = 4
CC = 30

So I went from 22 to 4 in FC today. SWG has been off all day as well. The water is clear now though I can see the bottom.

I would suggest doing a partial drain and refill. Leave at least twelve inches in the shallow end. After refill, follow through with a full Slam. You should be able to get resolution without doing a partial drain and refill, so you don't need to do it, but it would help.

Note: Don't drain below the local water table. Don't leave plaster exposed in direct sunlight.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.