Size of pump & filter AG Pool

ddpool

Jul 20, 2008
Minnesota
We just had a 24' AGP installed. It came with a 2hp Hayward pump and sand filter. This thing really moves the water. My questions are:

1. Is there any issues running a big 2hp pump with this size pool?
2. The pressure guage read 20psi when installed...so, do I wait till it jumps up 5psi before backwashing?
3. Any other suggestions/comments regarding the size pump/filter for this pool?
4. Is it wise to "hard pipe" the return and intake lines (now we have the flexible hoses)...

Thanks for any help...(we are new to this so any comments would be helpful)

The big pump will consume a lot more electricity than you need to keep your pool clean. I'd be more concerned that a big pump will produce too much flow for your filter. What model filter do you have? I suspect a filter that is too small for the pump is the cause of your relatively high filter pressure.

We just had a 24' AGP installed. It came with a 2hp Hayward pump and sand filter. This thing really moves the water. My questions are:

1. Is there any issues running a big 2hp pump with this size pool? If it's a true 2 hp, yeah, that's way too much pump for the pool (and filter)
2. The pressure guage read 20psi when installed...so, do I wait till it jumps up 5psi before backwashing? That's a good number to shoot for.
3. Any other suggestions/comments regarding the size pump/filter for this pool? The 20 psi and your description makes it sound like your pump is too big for the pool as well as the filter.....a true .75hp pump would be way plenty
4. Is it wise to "hard pipe" the return and intake lines (now we have the flexible hoses)... Generally, hard piping is viewed as a little better. Maybe not a bad idea to live with the flex for a while......if it gives you no problems, why not leave it?

Thanks for any help...(we are new to this so any comments would be helpful)

Thanks for the replies. The pump and filter were a package. They upgraded us to this 2hp and bigger filter because the one that is suppose to come with our pool was out of stock. So, I assume the filter is sized correctly for the pump. The filter takes 150lbs of sand...does that tell the size of filter? Thanks again.

The filter takes 150lbs of sand...does that tell the size of filter?
Sorta' yes and sorta' no. :shock:

The packages they put together are generally not as good as they could be but usually adequate. They DO like to boost up the pump HP because you would intuitively seem that more is better. With pool pumps, that's seldom the case.

A nicely matched pump and filter for your size pool may very well put out almost as much gpm (maybe even more) but run around 12 psi because the filter would be larger.

After all that, I would not suggest running out and spending more money on a new system. Use what you have and, unless you start to have water quality issues, stick with it.

ddpool said:
The filter takes 150lbs of sand...does that tell the size of filter? Thanks again.

I'd bet it's waaaaay too small. Get your manuals and dig up the flow rate for the pump and maximum flow for the filter.

Thanks I will check the manuals. Should I be concerned? What is the worst thing? Any damage concerns? Our water has been perfect since we put in...test it daily. My assumption is that the pump is moving the water so fast that it is really helping keep the water quality...true? Thanks again!

ddpool said:
Thanks I will check the manuals. Should I be concerned? What is the worst thing? Any damage concerns? Our water has been perfect since we put in...test it daily. My assumption is that the pump is moving the water so fast that it is really helping keep the water quality...true? Thanks again!

It can blow through the sand so quickly that it can push sand into the pool or out the backwash hose, or push dirt through the sand and back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.