Infractions and Points System

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
So I have received infractions. One for mild bad language and one for hijacking. I suspect I'll get another hijacking infraction for a off-topic post I made this morning.

I take full responsibility for the potty mouth infraction and I fully deserved that one.

It would be nice if it were possible for a user to delete or move off topic posts on their own (maybe after achieving a certain level of posts). I totally realized my hijacking mistakes albeit too late to do anything about them. Sometimes my desire to post outstrips my ability to be thoughtful about relevance.

Also, I've heard the points system is new. Is there any plan to post a table of infraction point values and/or any guide for what a points total means? I'm fully aware that you have to be careful on what you put it writing lest it be used against you and cause lots of bickering, but I just thought updating the site rules in the PoolRiules forum would be helpful to new and current users.

One comment (and then you can cite me for being sassy :p) but 9 months for expiration of hijacking infraction...9 STINKIN' MONTHS??? The DMV takes points off my license faster than that!

Last edited:
The infraction system is a work in progress. We are having as much "fun" with it on the back end that y'alll are having when you get one......it is anything but perfect. :colors:

It will continue to change and evolve until we get something that will work pretty smooth for everyone so bear with us.

Here's a couple of thoughts....

1. It is not helpful to whine when you don't think you deserved an infraction. We really do review these hard and try to determine if we are giving meaningful help to the forum or not.There is a good chance you may not have but that's something we are resolving as we refine the process......it'lll get better

2. It is terribly unhelpful when the SLAM-BAM newbies are in too much of a hurry to review the rules but simply want their magic answer posted so they can go swim. What results is disruptive hi-jacks that destroy the flow of the forum and will simply not be allowed. A sloppy post with sloppy information will get you just about what you asked for. The forum is far too busy to interpret misspelled, mis-Siried, gobbledy gook. If you don't care enough about your own post to make it coherent, why do you think others do?

3. If it weren't for hi-jacking at the PROLIFIC rate we are seeing it, the infraction system probably would never exist.

SonnyOptimism, your reasoned post was not the target of this post. It simply seemed like an opportune time to let everyone know why this "infraction" thing has cropped up. and how we feel it is something that can no longer be ignored as it is adding a ton of work to our moderators.

Thank you for your feedback!

As you have seen, this system is brand new to TFP, and one that is being revised almost daily. This system is NOT one that's meant to punish members, rather than provide the staff the ability to easily track a forum of 70k members and growing rather fast. We have only been using this approach for a few weeks now, so there are still some issues we are working out.

As for moving your posts to avoid "HiJacking!" I really think you NAILED your thoughts about posting and the such! I do not want to see this system slow posting or to slow members from answering questions. If this does occur, then the system has failed. One approach I'd suggest is that if you see any "HiJacked" post, then go ahead and report the post with a comment requesting it be moved. This message then goes to all moderators who can assist you in moving the posts. To do this, click on the little Triangle with an explanation point inside.

Fair enough. I will endeavor to comment less and think more in an effort to improve the quality of my own posts. Better that more senior members than me help folks out as I'd hate to steer anyone in the wrong direction.

Hopefully your efforts on the back end with the infraction system will yield good results and prove to be a helpful tool to all users.

Thanks.

Sent before seeing Leebo's response:

That's a great idea. If I realize too late that I have hijacked a post (I really do not like doing that as I have been on other less moderated forums and they stink because of opinionated highjacking), I will try self-flagging a post to get it moved.

My only reason for asking is it sounds like you guys get slammed with moderator work (honestly don't know how you manage to keep this site so "clean") and so I was hoping for a little self-reliance on the part of fixing my own mistakes.

Enough said, appreciate the timely feedback. You guys and gals do a great job with this site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I would hope you continue to offer help as the couple handfuls of "senior" members can easily become overwhelmed and burnt out :mrgreen:

It is far easier for us to read a lot, perform moderation duties and correct minor misstatements made by less-senior members (at this point you are not really a new member anymore) than to post the detailed responses that most new members need to get them going.

Well, I would hope you continue to offer help as the couple handfuls of "senior" members can easily become overwhelmed and burnt out :mrgreen:

It is far easier for us to read a lot, perform moderation duties and correct minor misstatements made by less-senior members (at this point you are not really a new member anymore) than to post the detailed responses that most new members need to get them going.

Of course. If I think I can help I will. I still consider myself a newbie. I have lots of technical engineering experience from days when I was working but that only gets you so far. I've only owned and operated my pool for a full year or so now and so I'm taking on knowledge and experience waaaaay faster than I'm doling it out.

Lots of fun on this site and my wife has started to complain that I spend too much time on it :) Tapatalk totally increased my readings and postings exponentially :p

Part of the problem I see happening is accidental hijacking, I have accidentally instigated a couple of these myself by replying with a partially-on-topic reply regarding my own experience with similar situations which have cascaded into numerous comments and questions on my experience by 3rd parties.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If the post is on topic and somehow the thread gets derailed, that does not necessarily mean that an infraction (with points) will result. There is discretion involved.

I can think of one thread where I intentionally left a "hijack" that was asking the same question and in the process of discussion with the hijacker (who was more active) we helped the OP who came back later.

Dave, et al....

Along theses same lines - the majority of "hijcaks" I have seen recently is when a(to use your description) SLAM-BAM newbie joins, does a quick search and begins posting on a two r three year old post. Might I suggest you consider locking older (maybe a year old) posts to avoid this type hijack? I'm not sure about your version of vBulletin, but many have an auto lock feature to accomplish this.

Well, I appreciate the moderators using discretion as I'm sure I've hijacked a post or two without realizing it. All in all, the system seems to be working well and this is really one of the best "free" Internet forums I've ever been on. It has the quality of posts and moderation that I have only found on user forums that charge monthly fees for use.

So Bravo! To you all.

I hope the infraction system doesn't dissuade some of the social comments. I know that a shout out to someone whose avatar is your favorite sports team (for example) doesn't strictly add to a thread I think I does add to the feeling of community here.

I hope the infraction system doesn't dissuade some of the social comments. I know that a shout out to someone whose avatar is your favorite sports team (for example) doesn't strictly add to a thread I think I does add to the feeling of community here.

In that case, it's probably more appropriate to use the PM system that is in place. Or, if you happen to be sharing your ideas with the OP regarding an answer to a question, then just add it on as a PS at the bottom of your reply.

PS - love your Family Guy avatar.....ooh no!!! There goes another off topic highjacking infraction :eek:

The biggest worry of "HiJacking" another threads is when a member asks a personal question pertaining to their personal pool, in another members thread. TFP prides itself as being one of the few Pool Forums who gives personalized advice on maintaining their pools. Threads get rather confusing once there becomes multiple questions asked in one thread. We often do see this in new members whom ask questions in threads found in search. The mods move these posts to their own thread on a daily basis with nothing more than a PM being sent out. Again, if we miss these type of issues please feel free to report the post to us and we'll move it as we see the need.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.