Pay or DIY

Jul 16, 2014
Riverview, FL
When I bought my pool/house it was a murky brine, especially since the pool service was put on hold during the house closing process. I presently pay $100 a month for cleaning and servicing. Is it difficult to maintain your own pool? If not I would rather put that money towards a salt water conversion and upgrade my remote control box for pool functions. Thoughts? Shut up and pay or get down, educated and dirty. :paddle:

Start reading and educating yourself here at TFP. Pool School and the threads have all the information that you will need. I trust the knowledge that I have gained here at TFP and wouldn't consider a service.

It sort of depends on how lazy you are, and how much time you spend away from home, really.

There's a fairly steep learning curve at the beginning, especially since you're starting with a murky pool. With some coaching here and a proper test kit, you can have the thing sparkling before August, and after that, a couple minutes a day. A SWG system eliminates a lot of the drudgery, but the pool will still need some attention a couple times a week.

I concur with the rest of those here... Do it yourself, save some $$, and the SWG is a great asset to pool maintenance.

I actually enjoy the little bit of time it takes to tend to my pool. It is also rewarding to have someone compliment how nice your pool water looks and feels and you know you did that!

Skippy is so impressed with how our pool looks, and sings my praises for being the chief pool caretaker... <shuffles feet guiltily>....so maybe I don't tell him how easy it actually is and let him remain a lil clueless..::heheheheh:: but its true. This stuff takes a little effort to learn at first but then it becomes quite easy. The time I spend out there doing small chores and testing is like my quiet exercise time. We barely spend any money on the pool (of course we invested heavily at first with the SWG and the autocover) so I can't even imagine spending $75-100/month for someone else to come in and care for it (probably badly compared to me).
Try it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have to tell you that it is FUN to do the tests. My husband just stands back and stares as he has NO idea how to do it LOL. I makes me look good!

Our pool is SO clear and everyone loves it! NO one believes me when I say bleach is all I use. I just show them my pool box.......

Good job on the test kit. Now go look around for you best bleach/chlorine prices that are easy to get to. For some it is Walmart others it is the pool store. Do a search and you will find a post or two about how to compare prices.

Have fun!

Kim

I say take over the maintenance yourself. If you DIY, you will save money. I'm a newbie pool owner and opened our pool for the first time in June with zero prior experience. I can honestly say after studying the information on this site and applying the TFPC methodology, pool maintenance has been really easy and truly trouble free thus far. All I've had to do since opening and S.L.A.M.'ing the pool, is manually add bleach every couple of days to maintain my pool. Once you get the hang of testing, it'll be easy.

An autocover is a pool cover that opens and closes with a motor. They are usually opaque so when they are on your pool you don't lose any water to evaporation or chlorine to sunlight so you save $$. They are pretty expensive though which is why I have a solar cover and a reel.

And it could be like a Seinfeld episode - by the time I got the cover off I didn't have the urge to go swimming anymore.

post-23071-I-was-in-the-pool-gif-George-C-RtxV.gif

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.