Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pay or DIY

1. Back To Top    #1

Red face Pay or DIY

When I bought my pool/house it was a murky brine, especially since the pool service was put on hold during the house closing process. I presently pay $100 a month for cleaning and servicing. Is it difficult to maintain your own pool? If not I would rather put that money towards a salt water conversion and upgrade my remote control box for pool functions. Thoughts? Shut up and pay or get down, educated and dirty.
    20,000 gal chlorine DE filter (crushed shells?)
    IG pool, Older Jandy PDA remote control system
    Not sure if it's plaster/pebble, or fiberglass construction
    Pump and filter info coming; It has a gas heated spa

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pay or DIY

Option number 2! Read pool school, buy a test kit and enjoy!

21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by ship of fools View Post
    Option number 2! Read pool school, buy a test kit and enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Agreed!!
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Start reading and educating yourself here at TFP. Pool School and the threads have all the information that you will need. I trust the knowledge that I have gained here at TFP and wouldn't consider a service.
    16k gal plaster with raised spa, Jandy DEV60 filter, 2 HP 2-speed SHPF Jandy Stealth pump
    Hayward Aqua Rite T-15 SWCG, Jandy LXi 400k BTU NG heater, 350 sq.ft. of Sun Star solar panels, TF-100 Test Kit, Dolphin s300i Cleaner
    Test Kits . Pool Math . Chlorine/CYA Chart . The SLAM Process

5. Back To Top    #5

It sort of depends on how lazy you are, and how much time you spend away from home, really.

There's a fairly steep learning curve at the beginning, especially since you're starting with a murky pool. With some coaching here and a proper test kit, you can have the thing sparkling before August, and after that, a couple minutes a day. A SWG system eliminates a lot of the drudgery, but the pool will still need some attention a couple times a week.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

A SWG will make it easier to maintain your chlorine level, but from what I have read there really isn't any cost savings as the cells usually have to be replaced every 3 or 4 years. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    22,000 gallon in ground, gunite, Hayward pump 1.5 hp and 36sq DE filter. Pool installation date unknown, at least 10 years. Screened enclosure.

7. Back To Top    #7

I concur with the rest of those here... Do it yourself, save some $$, and the SWG is a great asset to pool maintenance.

I actually enjoy the little bit of time it takes to tend to my pool. It is also rewarding to have someone compliment how nice your pool water looks and feels and you know you did that!
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

Another vote for maintaining it on your own. I've read a lot of people saying it's like drinking from a fire hose but the info is great and you can't go wrong if you're willing to learn and understand it.

Start off with ordering a good reliable test kit like the TF100 and read these links to start with:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
    Recommended Pool Chemicals
    How to Chlorinate Your Pool
    Chlorine CYA Chart
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

9. Back To Top    #9

I appreciate it all and will order my kit today. Thanks for the links and intelligent, and thoughtful input.

10. Back To Top    #10

Skippy is so impressed with how our pool looks, and sings my praises for being the chief pool caretaker... <shuffles feet guiltily>....so maybe I don't tell him how easy it actually is and let him remain a lil clueless..::heheheheh:: but its true. This stuff takes a little effort to learn at first but then it becomes quite easy. The time I spend out there doing small chores and testing is like my quiet exercise time. We barely spend any money on the pool (of course we invested heavily at first with the SWG and the autocover) so I can't even imagine spending $75-100/month for someone else to come in and care for it (probably badly compared to me).
    Try it!

My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

11. Back To Top    #11

Tell me about this autocover.

12. Back To Top    #12

I have to tell you that it is FUN to do the tests. My husband just stands back and stares as he has NO idea how to do it LOL. I makes me look good!

Our pool is SO clear and everyone loves it! NO one believes me when I say bleach is all I use. I just show them my pool box.......

Good job on the test kit. Now go look around for you best bleach/chlorine prices that are easy to get to. For some it is Walmart others it is the pool store. Do a search and you will find a post or two about how to compare prices.

Have fun!

Kim
    TFP Moderator 33x52 round AG 25,600 gals Sand Filter 1.5hp Pump - 2 Speed, SLAM, Pool School, Recommended Levels, Recommended Chemicals, Pool Math, Chlorine/CYA Chart, TF-100 Test Kit

13. Back To Top    #13

I say take over the maintenance yourself. If you DIY, you will save money. I'm a newbie pool owner and opened our pool for the first time in June with zero prior experience. I can honestly say after studying the information on this site and applying the TFPC methodology, pool maintenance has been really easy and truly trouble free thus far. All I've had to do since opening and S.L.A.M.'ing the pool, is manually add bleach every couple of days to maintain my pool. Once you get the hang of testing, it'll be easy.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

An autocover is a pool cover that opens and closes with a motor. They are usually opaque so when they are on your pool you don't lose any water to evaporation or chlorine to sunlight so you save $$. They are pretty expensive though which is why I have a solar cover and a reel.
    22,000 gallon IG; plaster; 16x32 Rectangular, Depth 3.5-8Ft.
    Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter - 48sqft w/ cellulose fiber & Hayward Energy Flo RS Pump - .75HP (1.85SF)
    Very old 312sqft solar system, TFT-100 Kit with Speedstir

15. Back To Top    #15

Quote Originally Posted by Surf Hawk View Post
    They are pretty expensive though which is why I have a solar cover and a reel.
    I have heard these described, perhaps from someone on this forum, as a pool condom.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

16. Back To Top    #16

That puts a whole new spin on safe swimming...

17. Back To Top    #17

And it could be like a Seinfeld episode - by the time I got the cover off I didn't have the urge to go swimming anymore.
    Vinyl 18'x36' in-ground 100,000 L, Jandy Aquapure 1400 SWCG, Jandy Lite2 heater, StaRite System3 filter, Evac tube solar heating panels

18. Back To Top    #18

32,000L Fibreglass Leisure Pools IG 12.5'x23'x5' Pump: AstralPools BX1 1.0HP
    Filter: AstralPools ZX-310 SWCG: AstralPools VX7T
    Heater: Hayward H250FDN Test Kit: TF-100

19. Back To Top    #19

Quote Originally Posted by Kainedogg View Post
    Tell me about this autocover.
    A serious electric safety cover that opens and closes the pool in about 30 seconds but also has the benefit of keeping most debris out of the pool which in turn cuts down on time necessary to scoop out said leaves and debris from the pool and cuts down on chlorine loss, etc.
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain