Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Started SLAM and pool filter split

1. Back To Top    #1

Started SLAM and pool filter split

I am a new member to this forum, ordered my test kit, planned my SLAM, and things were going well. I started with CYA of 70-80, and was keeping my FC over 30. Pool was clear after about 10 Hrs. I then turned off my pump via my timer, so that I could change it so it would not shut off overnight. When I turned it back on there was a load pop, and my Hayward S-240 filter split down the side. I am now scrambling to find a replacement for it. My question is what should I do in the meantime, and or after I get it replaced? Should I continue to test and try to keep the FC up, or just wait until I get the filter installed, and then test, and reevaluate at that time?
    25k gal, 18' x 36' inground vinyl pool, 1HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 Pool Heater, Circupool Si30 SWG, Polaris 380 cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Started SLAM and pool filter split

Do you have a multiport valve, or a push-pull? If you have a multiport you should set it to recirculate, then you can keep FC up and keep the water moving.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3

Have a multiport, but when I set it to Recirc, it leaks. Couldn't find replacement bottom for the S-240, so ordered a new S244T. Am planning on removing the valve, and temporarily plumbing it to recirculate, til the new one arrives.
    25k gal, 18' x 36' inground vinyl pool, 1HP Hayward Super II Pump, Hayward S244T Sand Filter, Hayward H200 Pool Heater, Circupool Si30 SWG, Polaris 380 cleaner, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

That should work too. Or, maybe a new spider gasket would prevent it from leaking?
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

5. Back To Top    #5

Prior to the filter blowout, I had brought the FC level to 34. That night I was not able to circulate so pool sat overnight uncirculated. Yesterday at lunch time I was able to get it recirculating again and FC at that time was at 25, so I added 2 more gallons of 8.25% bleach, and that should have taken me back up to 32. Checked chlorine last night and I was at FC 25.5. I just recirculated last night because I just had 1 gallon of bleach left, and this morning FC was at 21. Should I continue to keep adding bleach, and bringing it back up to 32? We are leaving town tomorrow, but will be back late on Saturday and new filter probably won't arrive till Saturday, or Monday. What should I do? Pool is clear, but instructions on Slamming say not to quit adding bleach until FC loses less than 1, and combined less than .5. CC was at .5 this morning. And will I be able to successfully slam without a filter? Bad timing, I know!

6. Back To Top    #6

You can SLAM without a filter, but you will not complete the SLAM without the filter because you are not filtering the dead stuff out of the water - thus it won't clear. Circulation, brushing and keeping the FC at the shock level for your CYA will kill the bad stuff in the water.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

I forgot to mention it has also been raining for the past 2 days here, so how does a person account for the accumulated rain water in the pool? Rained close to an inch yesterday, and is raining again today?

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by jkaba View Post
    I forgot to mention it has also been raining for the past 2 days here, so how does a person account for the accumulated rain water in the pool? Rained close to an inch yesterday, and is raining again today?
    Keep testing and adjusting your FC to the shock level. The rain will dilute the FC a little. The biggest problem with rain is that folks will ignore testing/adjusting while it is raining to keep from getting wet.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon