Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How Long Does CYA Last?

1. Back To Top    #1

How Long Does CYA Last?

How long does the CYA say in the water? I would appreciate hearing about experiences you guys have had with the stabilizer and how often to increase it.

I have my CYA about where I want it, because of trichlor tabs. I'm going to stop using them for now, but I'm wondering about how long it will be until they are needed again. I'm hoping at least a year.

Thanks!
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

TFP Guide

Re: How Long Does CYA Last?

In theory indefinitely. However, often times people who close their pools find that the CYA has vanished over the winter....

But it should last all season assuming you don't have to drain off lots of water. Since you have a cartridge filter I wouldn't expect you needing to drain off/waste water unless you get large amounts of rain.
    IG gunite/plaster pool/spa Started 1/17/14, Plastered 5/16/14
    Size: 12'-21'x39' free form, depth ranging from 4' to 7, attached 6 person spa with spillover.
    Equipment: Whisperflo 2hp pump, Pentair 30" sand filter, Pentair Mastertemp 400k BTU heater, 1hp Whisperflo for waterfalls, and a blower for spa floor

3. Back To Top    #3

That's great to hear, however; in Florida it just keeps raining and raining. Right now my water level is above my skimmer opening, and it just keeps going up. If it doesn't evaporate soon, a partial drain might be coming up. I think in the past it has evaporated, though. That will take some CYA out.
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

4. Back To Top    #4

TFP Guide

The Cya will not evaporate. It will go out with the water if you drain,but will stay if water evaporates.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

5. Back To Top    #5

As mrcarcrazy stated, CYA stays in your water. There are only two sources of CYA loss -

1. Degradation due to oxidation from chlorine which is EXTREMELY slow (probably only a few ppm's all season long)

2. Water loss due to back washing or draining

So you did the right thing by stoping the pucks! It's very easy to add CYA, lowering it is hard.

6. Back To Top    #6

Yup, in sunny Florida (I lived there for 32 years) the daily afternoon storms which require draining water will be your biggest CYA loss. But, even that will be fairly slow.

You may be able to keep up by just using the tabs when you go away for a few days as that will add some of the CYA back.

Log your tests and I'm sure you will be surprised how slowly it goes down. You have to drain "feet" of water to affect it usually.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

7. Back To Top    #7

Okay, good, it does not evaporate. That helps keep the CYA stable. I guess I'll have to conduct a test at the beginning of every season (or more). Sometimes in Florida the pool can even be used during the winter, lol.
    Bobby (my pool)

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    Okay, good, it does not evaporate. That helps keep the CYA stable. I guess I'll have to conduct a test at the beginning of every season (or more). Sometimes in Florida the pool can even be used during the winter, lol.
    Good plan. It's usually good to check the CYA value at startup, anytime there's a water volume change and at close down at the end of the season. Weekly testing is unnecessary.

9. Back To Top    #9

I lose all of my CYA every winter when i close.

I close with 30 - 40 and open at 0.

I have never had issues with ammonia.
    21,000 gallon inground
    Haywood Sand Filter
    Vinyl Liner

10. Back To Top    #10

Sometimes I Wish Cartridge Filters Could Backwash

Speaking of raining, I just had another downpour!

Bobby (my pool)

11. Back To Top    #11

wait so does rain add or diminish CYA?

12. Back To Top    #12

Neither. It will dilute the CYA that is in the pool and if you drain out water, you will then be draining out some of the CYA.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    wait so does rain add or diminish CYA?
    Yes, jblizzle is correct. To further explain, CYA is added to the water manually, and it will stay there until the water is drained. Obviously, if more water is added to the pool, it will be diluted and not be as effective.
    Bobby (my pool)