Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: What is Sequestrant?

1. Back To Top    #1

What is Sequestrant?

I hear others talking about adding this to their pool, should I also be adding this, if so what would I look for in buying it? Thanks
    13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Jandy Automation /w IAqualink
    Autopilot SWG
    Jandy 2.0 HP VSP, Filter Cartridge
    Taylor (FAS-DPD K-2600, Pool Surface: Plaster

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: What is Sequestrant?

Sequestrant is any of several chemicals that bind to metal ions dissolved in the water and prevent them from depositing as stains. All sequestrants break down slowly over time, so you need to add more at regular intervals to replace the portion that has broken down.

There is no point in using sequestrants day to day unless you know you have metal problems. The only time sequestrant is worth using as a general protection is when fresh plaster is applied, as metal stains on brand new plaster can never be removed.

Sequestrants based on HEDP, phosphonic acid, or phosphonic acid derivatives are the most effective. ProTeam's Metal Magic and Jack's Magic The Pink Stuff (regular), The Blue Stuff (fresh plaster), and The Purple Stuff (salt) are some of the top sequestrants. You can also find many other brands with similar active ingredients, some of which are noticeably less expensive.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

If I had used a copper base algaecide, will it eventually over time leave the water? Thank you

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

4. Back To Top    #4

No. Metals stay put. The only way to remove them is by replacing water and diluting it enough that it doesn't do anything.

Think of metals as chocolate. Sequestrant is the hard candy shell on an m&m. The chocolate is still in the bag, it just isn;t visible and won;t make a mess but it's still there.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

5. Back To Top    #5

OK so everyday or so I keep draining rain water from my pool, it will eventually get weaker...as the pool keeps getting full again.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, because you are removing water from the pool.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

OK I have removed a few copper spots with vitamin c tablets. I haven't seen anymore so far, I did order AA just in case.

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by boston62 View Post
    OK so everyday or so I keep draining rain water from my pool, it will eventually get weaker...as the pool keeps getting full again.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yep. But very slowly. Using my own pool as an example, I know my average depth is 60". So replacing 3" of water lowers whatever Calcium, CYA, or metals are in the water by 5%.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

OK great. Thank you

13,000 Gal Pool & Spa
    Autopilot SWG