Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can you backwash Sand Filter too often?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can you backwash Sand Filter too often?

With all the rain we’ve been getting I’ve been going out to the pool early every AM and lowering the water level via backwash, rinse and finally waste.

I figured ‘what the he!!’ it cant hurt, but I remember someone saying that a little crud in the Filter helps it filter. PSI is steady at 15.

In May we had the sand in the filter replaced as the pool was shut down for 8 years and whatever was in the filter turned to Muck. Filter is very old Hayward “Split Egg” w/ new side mounted Multi-port. It seems to be doing a great job, as the water is crystal.

So should I just be using the waste to lower the water level?
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Can you backwash Sand Filter too often?

My Pentair filter engineer friend did tell me that the most stress on a sand filter is the backwash. The turbulence occurring at the laterals can apparently cause damage. That makes sense to me and I don't backwash more than about 10 seconds after my water turns clear because of that.
    I would use "waste"
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Definitely use the waste setting on the multi-port valve to drain the pool (if you have a waste setting). Backwashing runs the filter backwards to clean out the debris, but new debris can get into the wrong side of the filter if you backwash too much. Then only time you should backwash is when the filter pressure has gone up 25% from the starting "clean filter" pressure.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

4. Back To Top    #4

Guys, Thanks for the replies.
    Good stuff
    it's Waste for me from now on!
    IG Tear Drop, Dark Gray Gunite , 27,000 gallons -Age 50+-years, very old Hayward Split Egg Sand Filter with side mount Multi-port- Hayward SP2600VSP Pump- Hayward chlorine feed (not used since finding TFP) - Laars 315K BTU Oil heater- LoopLoc Safety cover- AquaBot RAPIDS 4WD- TF-100 Test Kit w/ Speedstir- 390 Gal Hot Springs Spa Envoy installed May 2017