Newbie here! Really need simplified help! Cloudy pool.

Okay. I got my test kit. WOW! This thing looks complicated, but I'll figure that part out. My question for you right now is this: It has POURED here for the last two days. We can't get the cover on the pool right now because it keeps falling in before we can get it all the way around to cinch it down. There is more rain in the forecast, but my husband is going to go to Home Depot tomorrow to get some clamps so we can keep it attached on one side to get it completely over the pool. Do I go ahead and test the water that is in the pool now? Cover it, and then treat with the cover on? To keep the rain from changing the chemistry? Let me know. I haven't tested anything yet. It's rained so much, we've actually had to drain the pool some. And, as I type this, I can hear the rain returning again with a vengeance.

Also, should I keep the pump/filter running continuously while it's raining like this?

Rain has very little effect on your water chemistry. You would have to have a lot of rain do make a significant change in our chemistry.
Don't be intimated by the kit. It has full instructions and there are videos on you tube on how to preform the test's. Good luck with it and when you ready post up a full set of results. Oh and have you been during your homework ??
One otherthing could you add all your pool, equipment and location to our sig. It will help everyone help you better. ?

Is this what you need? Does the fact that the pool has to be drained some because of over-filling from the rain, not change the saltwater and CYA levels?

- - - Updated - - -

So, back to my original question, do I go ahead and test water from the pool as it is right now? Post those results?

Yes test water as it is now. Or for that matter tomorrow. The CYA test should be done in full sun with your back to the sun.
Post up the results and well see what ya got. Even if you drain some off that won't change things.
Your sig looks good. Thank you !! ?

Here at the results I got today: (if I did everything correctly)

Salt: 1970 ppm
Chorine: 5 FC, 4 CC, TC 9?
Calcium Hardness: 275
TA: 150
CYA: 40 (this one was exactly halfway between 40 and 50 on the tube, so I really wasn't sure how to list it)
PH: 7.5

Is there any other info I need to provide?

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yep you need to SLAM. Read the process and follow it to the T. I would go with a CYA level of 50. Your FC level for the SLAM will be 20. You can also go a tick or two higher. 22, it won't hurt a thing.
Make sure your SWG is off.
If you have any questions about the SLAM process ask ! ?

Question about SLAM process. Link? What is a SLAM? And is my salt too low? My manual says it should be around 3300, I think. I haven't added any salt, other than the recommended start up amount.

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry. Didn't see your link for slam.

So do I put in 50 and 20 on that pool math calculator in just those two areas FC, CYA? For the second column...the level I'm trying to reach? And that will tell me how much whatever to add?

- - - Updated - - -

So, a little confused. Do I add cya? Or do I just input numbers required to find amount of bleach to raise FC to 20?

Just put the numbers in the now and target columns for the FC. You can add the same number on both columns for your CYA. That would be 50. Don't add any CYA.
Don't forget to set up pool math. Put your water volume in at the top.?

I did. Put all that volume info and stuff in first. First test after adding the bleach shows FC @ 18 and CC @ 1. So add bleach needed from calculator to get it to 20, right? Then test again in a little while?

Yep. The only focus right now is maintaing slam level. All the other stuff we'll fix after the slam is over.
Don't forget to watch your filter pressure. When it rises 25% over clean pressure, time to backwash.
Your doing a great job ! It's not hard when you take the time to read up on things which seems to be your case !! ?

I have a cartridge filter pump/skimmer that came with the pool. What do you mean by backwash, clean pressure, etc?? There isn't any kind of gauge on it. It's just plug in and turn off/on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.