During Backwash I see cloudy water entering pool

Sep 14, 2010
I'm having an issue where my filter seems to be taking forever to clear my pool after my pool pump broke and was out of commission for about a week. During that time, the pool turned pretty green. I've been backwashing, shocking and brushing daily and while it seems to be getting better its getting better very slowly. I've noticed something strange going on however.

I have the return jets all pointed to my hot tub so water coming from the filter all goes into the hot tub and then escapes into the pool through a small rectangular "break" in the wall that separates the hot tub and pool. I had my wife do the backwash procedure while I watched the hot tub.

During the backwash all looked well in the hot tub. My wife would report that the sight glass on the multiport valve (sand filter) is getting cloudy. I looked at the hot tub and saw no change. As soon as my wife started to say that the sight glass was getting clear i began to see cloudy water seeping into the hot tub from the returns. We then put the multiport on rinse and also saw a bit less cloudy water entered. We then finished the backwash/rinse procedure and put it back to the filter setting. By that time it was difficult to say but it seemed like the cloudy water filled the rest of the hot tub and also into the pool.

What do I have going on here? Do I have something jacked up in my multiport valve? I'm assuming no water should go back into the pool during back washing no? My pool is getting clearer but its going so slowly that something seems wrong.

There should be no water entering your pool during backwash. I suggest you disassemble the multiport and check for a damaged 0-ring or something broken.

I didn't read all the details, but I can't see your hot tub having anything to do with the issue.

I will take a look at the multi port. The reason why I pointed everything at the hot tub is because the hot tub is shallow and I can see all the way to the bottom. The pool is too cloudy for me to make out if water is coming out the returns in the main pool.

Yep the spider o ring was slightly off kilter. I forced it back in and while my pool isn't 100% clear yet its getting very close quickly. The improvement was dramatic. Should be clear by end of tomorrow. Thanks!

Just in case you didn't know, you should always turn that multiport valve in the same direction. Choose clockwise or counter clockwise but always turn it the same way as that spider gasket can get pulled out or ripped if you go "backwards". And as always only change positions with the pump off.

Since you took it apart yourself you might want to consider replacing the gasket with a new one as they are pretty cheap. Might be that one is getting weak.

Froggy - really turn it one direction only? Not that I disagree, but I enjoy the randomness of the things we learn everyday. Most times I want to know exactly how and why actions deliver consequences but in times like this I just say ok and will keep it going one way from here on out. Now I want to disassemble my multiport valve to check for damage from my frequent and rapid direction changes. Thanks for the work, ha! Thanks for the info.

On the Hayward usually clockwise works best as you go from 12 O clock filter to 6 O clock backwash and then to 10 O clock rinse and back to filter. That is the most common and why clockwise is the likely choice. So if you're going to go to "waste", clockwise to waste and then clockwise back to filter. The gasket takes a set over time and the leading edge wears down a bit and the trailing edge feathers. If you start to go backwards the valve is more likely to grab or catch on that feathered edge and rip or pull out. If it's happened once as in your case it's more likely to happen again (soon). That's why I suggested getting a new gasket for it and a little silicone grease for the install. Then you're good for years ;)

Doing it like I did the first year with the pump running is the worst as the sudden stopping and surge of pressure in the valve and pipes can really do some serious damage !! If someone doesn't tell you and you don't see or have the sticker on the valve how are you going to know the pump should be off ??

Attachments

• Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    Silicone Faucet Grease.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, I hadn't heard that until a week or two ago. Prior to that, I was just doing a back and forth. Not any more!
Also, last year I learned the hard way to turn the pump off before moving the valve. Since a week later after replacing a burst multiport I've been sure I turn it off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.