How long before measuring CYA after drain & fill

Jun 20, 2014
Tucson, AZ
For CYA test, what is the recommended amount of mixing time after a partial drain and fill. In my case, I drained approximately 900 gallons on a 17000 gal pool (~ 5%) and refilled with city water.

I tested the following day but the total run time of the pumps during that period before testing probably was less than 8 hours. I went from a previous reading of 60ppm to now reading 40ppm.

So either my previous reading was too high or my current reading too low. There's been a little rain water here and there but nothing that significantly altered the pool volume. Water is crystal clear and sparkly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Since the CYA was already "mixed" in your pool, there is no mixing time...the results should be essentially instantaneous.

If you drain 900 gallons from a 17k pool, you should experience a 5% reduction in CYA....so down to 57% instead of 60....not much.

I can't tell you which test was wrong so you might just split the difference and call your CYA 50 ppm.....that should work.

The pump run time is, essentially, not relevant. 30-60 minutes should be plenty to get everything blended.

Yeah, I'm going to retest again tomorrow. I should probably buy the 50ppm CYA standard from TFTestKits to calibrate my eyeball to what the black dot disappearance should look like. I definitely tried hard to make sure I used similar lighting conditions. Perhaps I have Superman-like X-ray vision :p

I have a bucket of 1" spa trichlor tablets so if I felt like the CYA was truly low, I can always try to bump it a bit with those since they're smaller than a big 'ol 3" puck.

Thanks. I'm not going to lose too much sleep over this...just needed to do a sanity check...

Insane neurotic pool owner, CHECK!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.