Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool light question

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool light question

I would like to update my pool light to one with the cool color show and all that. We close on the home in two weeks so I don't know anything about the light. What kind of LED light would you recommend? The kind you just screw the LED bulb in or do we need a whole new fixture? Is it something we would need the pool people come out and do? How about a controller would we need one of them?

Excuse the dirty pool. When the bank went to have the pool opened the liner needed replacement.
    Thnx,

Chris
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool light question

Easiest and cheapest to just replace the bulb if that is possible. The switch will control it. Should be easy to do especially with the pool empty, get a new gasket as well.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    Easiest and cheapest to just replace the bulb if that is possible. The switch will control it. Should be easy to do especially with the pool empty, get a new gasket as well.
    Cheap is good right now any brand recommendations?
    16x32 IG rectangular 21,800k new vinyl liner 2014, Triton II TR 50 sand Filter, Pentair 3/4 hsp whisperflow pump, 3 returns, TF100 test kit w/speedstir. Maytronics s 300i robot.

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi Chrissy, I have a 120V retrofit LED bulb. you dont need a controller. The bulb has a chip in it that controls the thing. Just flip the light switch off and back on to change colors, or light shows.

One thing about them, they are not as bright as a regular bulb. The other thing is, the darker color blue your liner is, the less contrast there is between color changes. THe dramatic colors you see in the pics and on you tube is on white plaster.

For example on my pool, the difference between blue and green light is not dramatically noticeable on my medium dark blue liner. Same thing between green and yellow. Its not as dramatic as I had hoped for, but its definitly cool in any case just because of the light shows. A couple of big plusses, is the light uses hardly any energy. LED lights also do not attract as many bugs at night.

google J&J Color Splash LED or something similar. You want to get the 3G, 120V one. Will cost you 250 -300, depending on where you get it.
    here is a link for General purposes. SHop around you will get better price than at Leslies.

http://www.lesliespool.com/jj-electr...sh-3g-pool.htm
    Divin Dave,
    IG Vinyl, 15' x 30', 3 1/2' - 6' deep, Oval, ~15K gal, Intelliclor IC40, Intelliflo VS pump, Clean and Clear 420 Filter, auto-fill-disabled, Retrofit LED Color Light, Dolphin Nautilus Robot, TF100 Test Kit, Taylor K1766 Salt Test Kit, Tftestkit Pressure Gauge.
    www.tftestkits.net Experience- it's what's learned just after you needed it most !!

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Divin Dave View Post
    Hi Chrissy, I have a 120V retrofit LED bulb. you dont need a controller. The bulb has a chip in it that controls the thing. Just flip the light switch off and back on to change colors, or light shows.

One thing about them, they are not as bright as a regular bulb. The other thing is, the darker color blue your liner is, the less contrast there is between color changes. THe dramatic colors you see in the pics and on you tube is on white plaster.

For example on my pool, the difference between blue and green light is not dramatically noticeable on my medium dark blue liner. Same thing between green and yellow. Its not as dramatic as I had hoped for, but its definitly cool in any case just because of the light shows. A couple of big plusses, is the light uses hardly any energy. LED lights also do not attract as many bugs at night.

google J&J Color Splash LED or something similar. You want to get the 3G, 120V one. Will cost you 250 -300, depending on where you get it.
    here is a link for General purposes. SHop around you will get better price than at Leslies.

http://www.lesliespool.com/jj-electr...sh-3g-pool.htm
    Thanks so much. I will start looking around. My new liner is deep blue but I just don't want boring white

6. Back To Top    #6

The new liner was installed today and they told me there is a Hayward color light already installed? Yippee so excited to see that baby in action.