Another VS pump or 2-speed question

multifuel

Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 3, 2012
Treasure Coast FL
Hi TFT people:)! I have a 1hp whisper flo now and it's more than 7 years ago since installed. It runs 8 hrs daily 365 days a year here in south FL.

I'm looking at going to a swg system at same time. My pool is 10k gallons. Electric rate is 12.5 cents per kW averaged over my bill. I like what I have read about Pentair ic-40 swg and do to such great experience with my whisper flo I'm predisposed to Pentair.

Got a quote from local dealer/pool company and they want $2900 to make this happen. I can buy everything I need to change it out using Pentair controller, IC-40 and 3 hp intelliflo pump for under $1700. They said they will not install if I buy from web, nor will they do any warranty if it should fail.

I also run solar panels on a roof, probably a total of 15' max from pump to top of solar system.
Questions-
1- do I need a vs or is a 2-speed 1.5hp adequate ( with solar and swg)
2- if any one has installed the swg how hard is it- I'm very handy. I understand I give up warranty if I install, but
3- is it worth 1000+ bucks to let them do it?

2900 is more than I want to spend, I offered them $2500 cash and they flat refused. As always your opinions are appreciated and valued- thanks in advance
Frank

Lookup local "Swimming Pool Service and Repair" companies. Pretty much all of them will service and install equipment even if you don't buy from them. Just call up a few and tell them you want to have some equipment that you already bought elsewhere installed for you.

I would be shocked if they charge $1000 to install a SWG (maybe more like $500? just a guess)

I do not think a VS is worth it for you with the cheap power. Is there anything wrong with your existing pump? You could simply switch out the motor to a 2-speed version and add a switch.

You need to realize that you get very little control of the Pentair SWGs if you do not have their full automation system. You only get increments of 20% and the cells are more expensive than other brands to replace due to the on-board electronics.

You need to realize that you get very little control of the Pentair SWGs if you do not have their full automation system. You only get increments of 20% and the cells are more expensive than other brands to replace due to the on-board electronics.

I do plan to use the full control box with the IC 40- ( I know a 20 will work but it's 25$ difference) so next question is that would this be ok. A 2 speed pump, with IC controller / IC 40 swg. My pump is working well, but it is starting to deteriorate from sun on my western side and rusting motor body- I notice it is a bit louder than I remember, but not bad at all. Just really want to go to a swg as I travel a lot, almost weekly and with chlorination downstream from solar panels I can go through 3 pucks a week and it burns eyes and strong smell of chlorine sometimes. I'm ready to get past that. I really don't mind going through and replacing all, just wondering if the two speed is a better route. Does any one know how many hours I would need to run it to turn over 10k gallons. What could I expect as far as energy reductions?

I'm looking to lower my bill while improving swim and ownership experience. I could afford the big upgrade BUT DO I NEED IT? That's the question I know less about the 2 speed than the vs pumps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.