Which way to point the returns?

g5marek

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2014
Markham/Ontario
Here is a real new pool owner question.

I have two returns in my pool. One in the deep end and one in the shallow end. They are diagonally across the pool from each other.

Which direction should the returns be pointing? Towards the bottom of the pool? Towards the surface of the water with just a ripple on the surface?

I aim mine to create maximum clockwise rotation- just a slight ripple on the surface (this was recommended by pool refinisher, too). If all your chlorine comes from tri-chlor tablets on a surface floater, you might aim down to increase mixing.
George

Experimentation is about the only thing I can recommend. I tossed a dozen practice golf balls in the pool, timed how long it too them to get into the skimmer. Then I'd adjust the returns and repeat the test. After multiple tests, I set the returns to the setting with the fastest time is where I ended up setting them.

Almost forgot. Do this on a day with no wind.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.