Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Which way to point the returns?

1. Back To Top    #1

Which way to point the returns?

Here is a real new pool owner question.

I have two returns in my pool. One in the deep end and one in the shallow end. They are diagonally across the pool from each other.

Which direction should the returns be pointing? Towards the bottom of the pool? Towards the surface of the water with just a ripple on the surface?
    15K Gallons, IG, Vinyl, 1HP Single Speed Pump, Sand, SWG, NG Heater + Solar Panels

2. Back To Top    #2
    Gurnee, IL (North Suburban Chi-town)

Re: Which way to point the returns?

You'll just have to experiment and see what gives you the best circulation.
    33' round, 23,000 gal AG vinyl , 1HP 2spd PowerFlo Matrix downsized with 3/4HP impeller (X2), Hayward S180T 150# sand filter (X2), Hayward H250 NG heater Pool Store year 1 - $850 for 2 months; Pool Store year 2 - $440 for 2 months, TFPC year 1 - $170 for 4 months; TFPC year 2 - $95 for 4.5 months
    The most important article on this site - The ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

3. Back To Top    #3

Orlando, FL

I aim mine to create maximum clockwise rotation- just a slight ripple on the surface (this was recommended by pool refinisher, too). If all your chlorine comes from tri-chlor tablets on a surface floater, you might aim down to increase mixing.
    18K Pebble Tec pool & spa, Jandy Jep2.0 VS ePump, Jandy CS250 cartridge filter, Sta Rite Maxi Therm 333 propane heater, Hayward Aqua Rite SWG, Heliocol solar panels, remote fill/drain—All controlled by AquaLink RS8 One Touch

4. Back To Top    #4

Las Vegas

Experimentation is about the only thing I can recommend. I tossed a dozen practice golf balls in the pool, timed how long it too them to get into the skimmer. Then I'd adjust the returns and repeat the test. After multiple tests, I set the returns to the setting with the fastest time is where I ended up setting them.

Almost forgot. Do this on a day with no wind.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.