600 gal inflatable quickset: can you add a filter pump? Or just do without?

Hi everyone. I have read the Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools and many other posts. This is quite the helpful place! And a lot of nice pools out there, wow.

Two weeks ago we got an inflatable above ground ring quick set pool of 8' across by 30" deep.
This is about 600 gallons. It is not 100% full but maybe 25" deep.
Still plenty of depth and the perfect size to cool off and practice their skills a bit. Our children are now 7, 5, & 4, so we've graduated from the baby wader pools.
It was a great deal, $25. We weren't planning to have a pool of any size at our house, but here we are. ;)
However, this pool does not have a filter pump.
I've gotten the testing kit and supplies from the ol' Evil Empire (aka WalMart) and have been able for the two weeks we've had it up and filled to keep things within appropriate levels.
My question is, can one add a filter pump to this kind of pool?
Should i just continue doing my best without it?
Any advice on the best way to stir things in without it??
We got a long handled skimmer and cover that we are using regularly. This is in coastal South Carolina, so it's hot and plenty sunny on the pool site.
Thanks in advance!
Mara

Welcome to TFP!

With that small a pool, if things go haywire it is easier to dump and replace the water that mess with trying to correct it. It will warm back up fairly quickly.

That size of pool you could probably get by with your HTH test kit.

When you decide to get a larger pool, the topnotch test kit becomes a necessity.

I am going to say go ahead and add the basic intex filter pump, You can get the basic Intex 530 GPH pump from Amazon complete with hoses and 1 disposable filter for about $30, or the 1000 GPH pump for $40. You can also buy 3rd party cleanable filters that work much better than the cheap Intex Disposables for under $10.

Thanks, fellas. I appreciate your time and input on our rinkydink set up!
Warming the water is not a problem here! Coastal SC, plenty of sun and heat. Which is why i was talked into getting this. The top 6" gets too hot actually, until i stir it up with the cooler water underneath.
That sounds very reasonable, Isaac, and is basically what i was hoping to do.
However, this model has NO inputs, no connection holes in the sides; in this case how does one attach the hoses? drape them over the side and clamp somehow while using the pump? make a sort of PVC connection thingies that could sit on the bottom? I'm fairly handy, and my husband is professionally so, just not around the house usually("the shoemaker's children have no shoes" saying applies) ;)
Orrrr just forget the filter pump idea, enjoy, and plan to dump every month. Summers are long in SC, so we'll probably be using this til October. I know 600 Gal does not seem like a lot of water to y'all, but dumping and replacing often is really not what we want to do, because it is wasteful and spending $ unnecessarily. Was kinda hoping a kiddie pool would cut down on the sprinkler & hose playtime water waste.
Tell me your thoughts on the no hose connections. TIA! :)

You can use 1" PVC and fittings to make an over the wall suction and return set.

If your children have bicycles, you surely have old inner tubes around from flats. Cut about a 6" piece of old tube and pull that onto the end of the 1" PVC to form a seal between that and the hoses that should come with the pump.

You will have to manually prime the pump, but once primed, it should work OK for you.

Best bet would be the model 637 1000gph pump. That may seem a bit overboard, but believe me, it pumps significantly less than that with the 1" PVC and a filter installed.

See if you can get a Unicel C-4607 or Filbur FC-3710 cartridge for the pump, as the Intex cartridges don't work well.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.