Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Using Colloidal Silver instead of chlorine...

1. Back To Top    #1

East Texas

Using Colloidal Silver instead of chlorine...

I have a friend who wants to use Colliodal Silver instead of a SWG or Bleach...about to get a new above ground pool.

I told him he was nuts.. And his response was why? So I am looking for reasons why??

I told him I have never herd of such...that's all my facts! Lol

Any advice would be great!
    25,000g In Ground Saltwater pool-plaster--rock water fall with water Jets- Polaris 280 vacum-Hayward ecostar pump- Hayward booster pump-TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    East Texas

Re: Using Colloidal Silver instead of chlorine...

This should be fun.
    16x32x52" Steel Cornelius Miramar AGP Vinyl liner 13,100 gal. Buried 2 ft.
    2 Speed Hayward Power-Flo Matrix 85 g.p.m. 22" 250lb. sand filter hard plumbed
    Pool Rover Jr., Pool Blaster Max, Diver Dave TF100 Test Kit/Speed Stir
    Margaritaville Frozen Concoction Maker, Liqour Chiller, & Drink Mixer & Party Tub----Collect 'um all!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Tucson, AZ

Well, for one it is not an approved sanitizer in the USA (not that this applies to residential pools, but that says something).

Did you try searching the forum? I am sure there are threads that discuss this.
    I think it is just an algaecide?

Here is some discussion:
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

To sum up the other discussion: Silver does not kill quickly enough to be considered a sanitizer and it does't oxidize at all. Also, levels of silver high enough to get even that too slow effect are also high enough to cause unsightly and very difficult to remove metal stains.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

San Rafael, CA USA

Also, silver is not an oxidizer so if they only use silver or other metal ions then they will be soaking in their own sweat and urine, like taking a bath without ever changing the water.

Residential pools are like residential kitchens. They are not regulated so you can do whatever you want, just like you can do whatever you want in your kitchen such as leaving out a raw chicken on a hot day for 8 hours and then cutting vegetables on a board where the chicken juices have spilt, etc. In a commercial kitchen there are strict rules to prevent such things just as there are in commercial/public swimming pools.

So there is no law requiring your friend to use an EPA approved disinfectant so if your friend isn't interested in properly disinfecting his pool then there's not much you can say to dissuade him.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"