CYA Levels are 0 after putting in a ton of CYA

Apr 3, 2008
Hi everyone,

I was just curious. I have a cloudy pool right now which has read 0 for CYA. My pool is 10K gallons and usually 2 gallons of liquid CYA does the trick to get the levels back up. What i'm confused about is that a week ago i put in 2 gallons and the reading remained 0. I figured it was a fluke and did it once more this morning and am still reading 0. Is this possible ?

I usually do CYA first before trying to bother with adust the chlorine amounts, ph ,etc. which is obviously what i'm now going to go and do, but I guess, i had thought that CYA was the first thing to do so my chlorine would be protected from the sun.

1. Is it possible to put too much cya in ?
2. Our sand filter probably needs to be replaced soon (hasn't been done a few years) , could that be a factor ?

I will get my readings posted here as I know that's usually the first information you guys request but i thought i'd put up those two questions above in case they might be factors and see what you thought. Thanks,

Scott

- 10K gallon pool
- Vinyl

Ok. Will do . thanks,

Also ,

here our my readings

Chlorine : 7ppm
PH : 7.5
AK : 90ppm
CYA : 0
Calcium Hardness : <10ppm

I mean, they're not ideal but nothing seems glaring so far unless i'm mistaken. Will get to work. And thank you again.

Scott

How are you testing?
What is the FC and CC?

2 gallons of liquid stabilizer had to have added 74ppm of CYA to your pool. It does not really sound like you are testing with one of the Recommended Test Kits and using PoolMath to calculate dosages.

The CYA should not just disappear.

The sand has nothing to do with any of this.

Ok. I think i discovered the problem. A few days ago we replenished our dropper bottles for #0871 (chrorine test) and #0013 (cya test) (this is a taylor K-2006 test kit) and i believe we wrongly poored #0871 into #0013. While i can't be certain this is the case, it appears likely, as i just emptied our two dropper bottles and re-replenished them and i'm now getting high readings of CYA , which totally makes sense (CYA 100+) . So i probably have like 140ppm CYA in there. <slaps forehead> ! idiot! . :).

FC : 7ppm
CC : 0ppm
AK : 90ppm
CYA : 100+
CH : <10ppm
PH : 7.5

So that leaves me with a really high CYA and cloudy water.

1. I'm assuming a drain is in store for bringing down the CYA ? (i'd imagine it's in the mid 100's since i used the 4gallons)
2. Cloudy water : can high cya be a cause here ?

Thanks,

Scott

Yes drain to get the CYA back to 30-50ppm.

The cloudy water is likely due to your FC being too low for the CYA level you now have. If you did not start with 0 CYA (which you shouldn't have), then your CYA is likely above 150ppm.

You probably want to do a diluted sample CYA test to try to find out a closer estimate of what your cya really is. 100 could just as well be 350 (that's what mine was) You might even dilute it 2 parts tap/distilled to one part pool water multiplying the result by three. If its still invisible at 90 or more dilute a new sample 3 to 1 etc etc until you get a reading below 90.

Yeah, i actually just did a test in a 5 gallon bucket. (tell me if i'm thinking is wrong at all here but.....)

I put 2 gallons of the pool water in. Then i filled it with 2 more gallons of fresh water. After doing this i checked the CYA levels and found that it was now measurable. It was at 80ppm. So i'm assuming that means the current value in the pool must be at 160ppm ? Anything wrong with thinking that ?

And if that is right then in order to get down to the 50ppm mentioned above, i'd have to drain almost 2/3 of the water in the pool, correct ?

Hoping that i'm wrong here obviously but such might be the price for my silly mistake. Lemme know if you guys think this is correct logic. And thanks again as always.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think this is a good tale for why you should just throw away old reagent bottles and just buy new bottles or use the big 2oz ones.

Not only can you possible mix up reagents, but putting fresh reagent in an old bottle just violates all good chemical lab practice (like not rinsing your sample tubes prior to testing).

I'm not trying to caste blame here or point fingers. I actually thought of refilling my old 0.75oz dropper bottles with reagent from some if my new 2oz bottles but, after reading this thread, the old droppers are going straight in the trash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.