Brand New Pool Owner - Test Results

Jun 9, 2014
Shepherdsville
I put up my first pool ever a couple weeks ago (June 28). Its an Intex ABG, 18' x 48" Round. I used this site to make sure I got it level within 1" or so.

I filled it up halfway on the 28th, due to the fact I didn't know I didnt have the inlet or strainer when I started filling it. It sat half full until July 9th when those parts came in, and I finished filling it up. I haven't put ANY chemicals in it whatsoever.

I got my test kit in today (Poolmaster 22260 Basic 5-Way Test Kit with Case) and here are the results, as best I know how to read them:

Chlorine - 0.0, water was clear

PH - 7.8 as best I can tell

Acid Demand - took 2 drops, and charts suggest between 1 cup (for 5,000g) and 1 pint (for 10,000g).

Combined Chlorine - 0.0, water was still clear

Bromine - 0.0, water was clear

Alkalinity - took 8 drops for water to change, says multiply this by 10, so 80?

I have NO clue what to add to the pool to make it right. Can someone help me? Do I need to shock it? Add bleach? Take it to a pool store and let them advise me? I'd rather do it myself, but I don't have a lot of spare time to research what I need to do.

Thanks for the help in advance.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add the state to your profile location as I have no idea where you are.

Ideally, you should get one of the Recommended Test Kits which has the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

You need to get some stabilizer (CYA) in the pool to protect the chlorine and you need to get some FC in there ASAP. Is the water still clear?

You do not have bromine so that test is useless.

Have you started reading Pool School? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Please add the state to your profile location as I have no idea where you are.

Ideally, you should get one of the Recommended Test Kits which has the FAS-DPD chlorine test.

You need to get some stabilizer (CYA) in the pool to protect the chlorine and you need to get some FC in there ASAP. Is the water still clear?

You do not have bromine so that test is useless.

Have you started reading Pool School? Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

Thanks for the advice. I'm in Kentucky, I'll update my profile tonight.

I looked at the test kits, but I'm trying to get by this year as cheap as I can since I've already had quite the expense getting it up. I'll get one of those over the winter for next season.

I did read all those links previously, but I'm still unsure of how much CYA I need to have. Does measuring that require a different test kit?

The water is still clear when I put it in the test kit, but I can definitely see more of a cloudy tint to it than I did when I filled it up a week ago. Can I just use bleach to add the FC? If so, how do I know how much of that?

If you "kit" does not have the CYA test, then yes, you need a different kit. Although with a new fill, your CYA is 0ppm. Don't be penny wise and pound foolish, if at all possible ... a good test kit will more than pay for itself since you will only be adding the chemicals you actually need and not guessing.

Odds are that there is already stuff growing in the water which will require the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process to clear up and that kit will not read the high FC levels required.

Keep reading Pool School: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/134-recommended-levels

You should add 30-50ppm of CYA to the pool dissolving in a sock and then add the appropriate amount of FC using bleach based on the FC/CYA Chart. Use PoolMath to calculate the required dosages for you.

I don't mind getting a new test kit for next year and doing it the right way, but I just want to be able to limp through the next 6-8 weeks here in Ky that I'll have a pool season. Is there any way to make it work with what I've got for now? All the test kits I see online that have the FAS-DPD are upwards of $50, plus another week or so before I'll get the test. Add that to the week it'll take to SLAM it, and I've lost 1.5-2 weeks more of this season. I'd just rather do the bare minimum for the remainder of this season and do it the correct way next May.

Add 30-50ppm of CYA, maintain adequate FC and the pH in range.
Should be safe, but maybe not crystal clear and will likely use more chlorine than if you started with the SLAM to eradicate whatever is in your water.

Add 30-50ppm of CYA, maintain adequate FC and the pH in range.
Should be safe, but maybe not crystal clear and will likely use more chlorine than if you started with the SLAM to eradicate whatever is in your water.

Thank you very much! I just need it to be 'safe' for my wife and 4 year old until next year. I plan on putting the time and money into it next year (sand filter, hard plumbing, skimmer) and setting it up the correct way. Again, thanks for your help, I'll post on here if I have any more questions :)

The key to the pool being safe is ALWAYS having the required amount of FC in the pool and that is a function of your CYA level.
And if you can not see the bottom when it becomes too cloudy/green, the pool is not safe to use.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.