Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Robotic Cleaner that works in Infinity Edge Catch Basin?

1. Back To Top    #1

Robotic Cleaner that works in Infinity Edge Catch Basin?

My catch basin on my infinity edge pool has no method of filtration so debris builds up there. I am looking for a robotic pool cleaner to deal with the catch basin. The issue I have is that the basin is narrow (about 3 feet wide) and is in a semi circle that is about 50 feet in circumference. The walls on both sides of the catch basin are at 90 degrees to the floor of the catch basin so it is difficult for most robots to climb them and to maneuver in such a narrow channel. Anyone have any experience with one that may work in this type of situation?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Robotic Cleaner that works in Infinity Edge Catch Basin?

Sounds like a job for a leaf rake and an occasional vacuum (maybe a small battery powered one).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Unfortunately if the debris sits there for more than a couple of hours it leaves stains on my new Pebbletec finish and I end up having to put chlorine granules on them, let them sit and scrub them. I'm looking for something automatic. I'm out there with my leaf rake and vacuum a lot, but because there is no filtration down there the debris is sitting still for too long. Any ideas on something robotic that may work?

4. Back To Top    #4

OTIE,

Have done a lot of bot research and some testing; have not seen one that is made for the specifics of a basin, like those you can have in the larger pool that use a timer, patrol every x hours, and then stop.

(Wonder if any of the builder folks, here, ever install a sub-set of the automated, pop-up bottom-cleaning systems in the their basins? (Or if clients or maintainers have seen them.) That would appear to be the best solution, but your pool is already up and running.)

A couple of questions:
    You gave the length and width, what is the normal depth of the catch basin - and does it ever go dry?
    Are you looking to 'set and forget' or to set it up, let it run, and then pack it up?

Nikk
    ~26,000g free-form, plastered, gunite in-ground pool. 1.5hp pump, sand filter, and electronic timer. 2 skimmers and 3 returns on the pool floor. 2" supply and return lines. Solar Breeze and AquaBot Turbo T for automation - both are great for us!
    Fun fact, the pump, filter, and timer are located in our basement. (Some 'pros' have seen a few, while others are mystified.)

5. Back To Top    #5

The depth is about 3 feet. I'm okay with either letting it run on a timer or taking it in and out. The basin never runs dry. It controls the infinity edge which is in essence the skimmer for my pool.