Shocked by water test results & not sure what to do now

ksumm

Jun 9, 2013
Central Arkansas
Hey guys! I sought advice here on how to open and balance my pool at the beginning of the summer. I followed your excellent advice and got my pool in fabulous shape! Since then, it has done wonderfully with regular minimal maintenance. That is until now. We just returned from a 5 day trip. Prior to the trip, all of the levels were right where they should be. Nothing out of the ordinary. When we returned, the pool and water still looked really good, so I just did a routine back wash of my sand filter and tested my water. Considering how good it looked, I was crazy shocked by the results!

Salt - 4700

FC - .5

CYA - 0

pH - 8.0

TA - 65

CH - 25

I'm very fortunate that the pool still looks good, but I know that I've got to jump on this asap! I'm still learning, so can you guys give me some guidance about what I should do. Also, what would cause this kind of drastic change, and was there something I could have or should have done to prevent it? You are lifesavers! Thank you!

:scratch: What were the results prior to your 5 day trip?

There is no way the CYA could have dropped from 70-80ppm to <20ppm in 5 days.
If the CYA is truly that low, then there is no way the SWG is going to be able to generate more FC than the sun is going to destroy.

First can you tell us what test kit you got your results with ? Can you give a CC test result ?
Here's what I would do. Turn the SWG off.
1- Lower your PH to about 7.5 with acid.
2- Add bleach to get your FC up to 3. Maintain that till CYA is dissolved.
3- Add stabilizer to get to a level of 70 if it's truly 0.
After your CYA has dissolved raise your FC up to 5 with bleach. and let the SWG take over. Don't bother testing CYA for a week. It will take that long to fully register on a test.
Use Pool Math to figure out your dosages.

:scratch: What were the results prior to your 5 day trip?

There is no way the CYA could have dropped from 70-80ppm to <20ppm in 5 days.
If the CYA is truly that low, then there is no way the SWG is going to be able to generate more FC than the sun is going to destroy.

I know! I did not expect those results.

Before we left:
CYA was right at 70
FC - 4
pH - 7.3

I did find out that we got a pretty monstrous rain while we were gone. Several inches. Could that have played a part?

Then I would add CYA in steps and manually add bleach to keep FC in range until you get to 70 just so you don't over shoot the CYA level. Then when everything is balanced fire up the SWG. Don't forget to lower PH. I'd do that first. Then FC and CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.