Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Shocked by water test results & not sure what to do now

1. Back To Top    #1

Shocked by water test results & not sure what to do now

Hey guys! I sought advice here on how to open and balance my pool at the beginning of the summer. I followed your excellent advice and got my pool in fabulous shape! Since then, it has done wonderfully with regular minimal maintenance. That is until now. We just returned from a 5 day trip. Prior to the trip, all of the levels were right where they should be. Nothing out of the ordinary. When we returned, the pool and water still looked really good, so I just did a routine back wash of my sand filter and tested my water. Considering how good it looked, I was crazy shocked by the results!

Salt - 4700

FC - .5

CYA - 0

pH - 8.0

TA - 65

CH - 25

I'm very fortunate that the pool still looks good, but I know that I've got to jump on this asap! I'm still learning, so can you guys give me some guidance about what I should do. Also, what would cause this kind of drastic change, and was there something I could have or should have done to prevent it? You are lifesavers! Thank you!

6000 Gallons; Vinyl; AG; Columbia High Performance Sand Filter, 200 lb, 2 HP, 6,000 GPH; Krystal Clear SWG; 3 years old; Using TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Shocked by water test results & not sure what to do now

What were the results prior to your 5 day trip?

There is no way the CYA could have dropped from 70-80ppm to <20ppm in 5 days.
    If the CYA is truly that low, then there is no way the SWG is going to be able to generate more FC than the sun is going to destroy.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Shocked by water test results & not sure what to do now

First can you tell us what test kit you got your results with ? Can you give a CC test result ?
    Here's what I would do. Turn the SWG off.
    1- Lower your PH to about 7.5 with acid.
    2- Add bleach to get your FC up to 3. Maintain that till CYA is dissolved.
    3- Add stabilizer to get to a level of 70 if it's truly 0.
    After your CYA has dissolved raise your FC up to 5 with bleach. and let the SWG take over. Don't bother testing CYA for a week. It will take that long to fully register on a test.
    Use Pool Math to figure out your dosages.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sure! I use the TF-100 test kit.

CC = .5

6000 Gallons; Vinyl; AG; Columbia High Performance Sand Filter, 200 lb, 2 HP, 6,000 GPH; Krystal Clear SWG; 3 years old; Using TF-100 Test Kit.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    What were the results prior to your 5 day trip?

There is no way the CYA could have dropped from 70-80ppm to <20ppm in 5 days.
    If the CYA is truly that low, then there is no way the SWG is going to be able to generate more FC than the sun is going to destroy.
    I know! I did not expect those results.

Before we left:
    CYA was right at 70
    FC - 4
    pH - 7.3

I did find out that we got a pretty monstrous rain while we were gone. Several inches. Could that have played a part?

6. Back To Top    #6

You must have had a lot of rain with a lot of over flow to lower CYA to zero. Are you sure of that reading ?
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

7. Back To Top    #7

I rewashed everything and retested it to be sure!

8. Back To Top    #8

Then I would add CYA in steps and manually add bleach to keep FC in range until you get to 70 just so you don't over shoot the CYA level. Then when everything is balanced fire up the SWG. Don't forget to lower PH. I'd do that first. Then FC and CYA.
    Jeff

9. Back To Top    #9

Okay! Thank you so much for the help!