Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Green Cloudy pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Portland OR

Green Cloudy pool

I am this close (less than an inch) to just draining the pool into the street!

We have a 12 x 24 rectangular INTEX above ground pool. The water was clear when I pulled back the cover, but I went back to Wisconsin for a little over a week and didn't replace the cover. We have 5 huge cherry trees in the yard and they splatted into the pool.

The water was green with slimy cherries when I returned. I scooped the cherries out and used Green to Blue but absolutely nothing happened to clear up the green.

I've backwashed and replace 3000 of water; used 5# of shock and Green to Blue 3 more times and I still have green water only now it's opaque.

Next I bought a "Pool Critter" and put that into the pool. Well, that was a moot point because I couldn't even see if it was on the bottom so I hauled it back out.

Last night I bought floc and threw that into the pool. This morning the water is still opaque and green. How long should I wait to see if this is even working?

OR: Should I drain the pool and start over?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Green Cloudy pool

Welcome to TFP!!!

First I suggest you read ABCs of Water Chemistry so we are talking the same language.

To clear a green pool you do not need shocks and flocs and algaecides ... you need chlorine. Just follow the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process using one of the Recommended Test Kits with the required FAS-DPD chlorine test.

Drain and start over and learn from Pool School how to properly maintain the chemistry.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Elverson Pa.

Green Cloudy pool

Welcome to TFP !
    If you have the option to dump it and start over that may be the way to go.
    Either route you take, take a look at these articles to help you understand your water chemistry and it's needs. You will also need a good test kit like was suggested.
    How To Chlorinate Your Pool
    ABC'S Of Pool Water Chemistry
    Any questions you have don't hesitate to ask. 😎
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

4. Back To Top    #4
    SW PA

Re: Green Cloudy pool

Welcome to TFP. You can't go wrong by reading the ABC's of Pool Water chemistry and ordering a good reliable test kit that you will use every day.
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter