Scorpions are Monsters from the deep!

Casey,

Oh no girl!! You did not just try to one-up us on spiders???

Out here in the SouthWest, we got spiders that'll eat your little wolf spiders for breakfast....then they'll come knocking on your front door and swagger right on in....I'm talking spiders you can't step in cuz they'll just push you right back!!

:p

Peace!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm going to have to request pics! :mrgreen:

You have a very "healthy" backyard! I posted stuff like this in another thread, but spiders, while ugly, are actually quite beneficial to your OUTDOOR environment (once they cross that threshold to the INSIDE of your home, you are the apex predator and the law of nature takes over).

You live in FL so without those healthy spiders around just imagine what kind flying insect CRAZINESS you'd be in. I hear the Mosquitos need FAA clearance to fly around there :)

Yes, we actually used to have Tikki torches to combat the flies. Then wasps started building their nests in them. :roll: All of the webs did have bugs wrapped in them, also. It's bad during the summer. I was brushing the pool with flip flops, and got about three bites all on one foot. My house is usually freezing, so it keeps all of the pests away. My air conditioner has recently started dying, and the house is warmer, so I've seen some flies in the house, but no spiders yet (thank goodness). :D

Maybe I'll start leaving some of the webs. I feel I'm more likely to get hurt from a disease carried by a mosquito than a spider which will probably not even come in contact with me. It's just when spider webs pop up in places that I go near, like the one that was above my fence door, I start to get concerned.

Last edited:
Casey,

Oh snap. I used to have a great picture of this tarantula that would come sun itself every morning on our living room window sill. He would visit every morning for like three weeks straight and then he was gone. Bat or road runner probably got it.

Next time I run into one of my furry little friends, you'll be the first to get the PM.

Perhaps the answer to the scorpion/spider problem is the ABG (Above Ground Pool) I have had a dead bird in my Pool but no dead rodents, cats, spiders, scorpions, millipedes, centipedes or frogs/pollywogs. The only dead bugs I find in my skimmer are flying ones.
I suppose if you have a deck around your pool you negate the benefits of the ABG. LOL

- - - Updated - - -

tarantula_!![1].jpg

Not near the Pool but hanging around the patio.

:-( we have these evil orb weaver spiders that come out in the late summer. (Haven't seen them yet this year thank God)

They like to make lovely giant webs....across my driveway...

From my gazebo to the pool,

From my house to the side yard fence.

I mean I honestly think they may be trying to catch *me* !!

They come out at dusk and take the webs down in the morning.

I don't go in the back yard at night in the summer.

I've already informed my husband that since my new job means I don't get home until 1040pm he will have to be meeting me at the curb because I'm not walking up the driveway until I know there are no spiders waiting to eat my face. :(

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Beens,

Hahaha you're hilarious!

Yes, orb weavers are pretty spectacular in their web making ability. I had one last year that spun a HUGE web from my raised BBQ bar to the fence block wall, that's at least an 8 ft span. It was full of little web capsules (captured bug) so that little critter had quite the meal that night. I felt bad pulling down all his/her hard work. But I had a grille to clean....

blech

I still have a billion mosquitoes so they're not pulling their weight!

Last year we had a "garden spider" which is a type of orb weaver. They are a lot "prettier" (if that's possible for a spider) and they make the webs with the zig zag pattern. I actually let that one stay because "she" didn't move. Just put her web in my roses and pretty much stayed there until she got huge. (2-3 inches)

But those hideous brown/black bulbous *things* that try to kill me at night are evil creatures from the pits of **** that need to be dead. :p or at least just not be in my yard! lol

lol I can't say H E Double Hockey Sticks! :p

Yep. By the end of the season, the orb weavers get pretty bulbous and chunky looking.

As I always say, if they stay "out there" I'm all live & let live. If they invade my personal space, well, survival of the fittest takes over and they are no match for the sole of my boot :)

As for the potty mouth filter, yup, it's turned up to max power....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.