Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Curious and researching

1. Back To Top    #1

Curious and researching

My bride of 37 years wants a pool. Happy wife, happy life.

So, we're looking at ABG pools (because she doesn't want to drop the coin for an inground pool) and trying to make an informed choice.

Looking in the 15-18' range. Comparing brands and trying to work out installation reality versus fantasy (soft sand yard with a drop of 14" across the diameter of a 16' pool in the area that we've tentatively ID'd for the pool site).

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Curious and researching

Welcome to TFP!

Many of the differences are in materials quality, differences that aren't always obvious and don't tend to show up in any obvious way in the first year or two. There are good arguments to be made for both the low end and the high end. A high end pool will last a long time, but a low end pool will last a while, and is likely to get replaced (upgraded or removed) after a couple of years anyway.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Welcome to TFP. I would recommend that if you have the space, not to lock in on a small pool but go as big as you can. Hardly anyone wishes for a smaller pool and mostly everyone wishes they had a bigger one. :cool
    I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Welcome to TFP !😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

5. Back To Top    #5

After talking to the most experienced independent pool installer locally and measuring and measuring, we ordered a 18" Doughboy Autumn Breeze. Should be in next week and installed after that.

6. Back To Top    #6

I'd bet you my bikini you'll never get TFP water from a pool store!

24' Sharkline Venture De Filter

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by ODA 564 View Post
    After talking to the most experienced independent pool installer locally and measuring and measuring, we ordered a 18" Doughboy Autumn Breeze. Should be in next week and installed after that.
    There are a few things you need to do in the interval
    1) Order up a test kit. You're starting fresh. Wouldn't you like to be the crusty old man who brags, "I've had my pool seventeen years and I've never seen a speck of algae in it."
    2) Start shopping for those little things that add up fast: pole, brush, leaf skimmer, thermometer, floating pool lounge...
    3) Take lots of pictures. You might as well open up an account somewhere so you can post them all. Tutorial.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!