Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Waste basket near pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Waste basket near pump

Hello,

Yesterday I cleaned the waste basket near the pump. Besides the pump not running, do I have to perform any steps before or after?

Just making sure I don't have to touch this device (filter?).

Thanks in advance,

TT

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Waste basket near pump

That is the filter (looks like a Hayward DE filter) and you need to backwash and recharge it with DE when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If this setup is new to you, I would suggest backwashing and then following the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial to inspect it and make sure it is in good shape.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle View Post
    That is the filter (looks like a Hayward DE filter) and you need to backwash and recharge it with DE when the pressure rises 20-25% over the clean pressure. If this setup is new to you, I would suggest backwashing and then following the DE Filter Cleaning Tutorial to inspect it and make sure it is in good shape.

Please add your pool details to your signature and as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Yes it is new to me. Regarding the question about the waste basket near the pump, all I need to do is to make sure my pump is off when I clean the basket right?

4. Back To Top    #4

Oh, I thought you had already done it.

Assuming the pump is above the water level, you just turn off the pump and open up the lid, clean the basket out and put it back in, lube the lid o-ring, put the lid back on, and turn on the pump. It should refill with water and prime in less than a few minutes. If not, turn the pump off and time to troubleshoot.

Actually then you should also open the air valve by the gauge on the filter to let the air out of the system and then close it when water shoots out.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, I thought you had already done it.

Assuming the pump is above the water level, you just turn off the pump and open up the lid, clean the basket out and put it back in, lube the lid o-ring, put the lid back on, and turn on the pump. It should refill with water and prime in less than a few minutes. If not, turn the pump off and time to troubleshoot.

Actually then you should also open the air valve by the gauge on the filter to let the air out of the system and then close it when water shoots out.

That is why I asked. I noticed that when it runs its about 15 PSI without the vacuum hook up to the skimmer., but it was only 5 PSI after I cleaned the basket and hooked up the PoolCleaner. I thought the PoolCleaner caused it to lose the pressure.

So tonight, I will open the the air valve by the gauge on the filter (until water shoots out) while the pump is running?

Thanks so much.

TT

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, while the pump is running.

The added resistance of the suction cleaner will lower the flow rate and also the pressure reading. But it should not lower it that much.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

7. Back To Top    #7

One more questions since where on this topic. I noticed the waste basket has a broken area on the top (the lip area about 2 inches). The waste basket also has a second lip (for added security) a few inches from the top one which is fine. I measured the basket top circle to be 6" and the height of the basket almost 7.5" inches. In terms of getting a new waste basket, anything close to the measurement should be fine?

Also, when you mentioned lube the lid o-ring, what do you use to lube it?

8. Back To Top    #8

When you say waste basket, do you mean the skimmer basket by the pool or the pump basket?

silicone or teflon lubricant for o-rings/gaskets
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

When you say waste basket, do you mean the skimmer basket by the pool or the pump basket?

silicone or teflon lubricant for o-rings/gaskets

Near the pump.

10. Back To Top    #10

You have to buy the exact basket that is used for you pump.

Please add your pool details to your signature as described HERE as it will help us help you in the future.

Post up pictures if you can not identify the equipment.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

11. Back To Top    #11

I had to replace my pump strainer basket last year. We need to know what the make and model of your pump is. For example, Mine is a pentair whisperflow. I had to do a lot of research online to find it. Like you've been previously suggested, post all your equipment details in your sig- and a couple pictures wouldn't hurt either, particularly of the pump including the label if you can get it.
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by trackstar2000 View Post
    One more questions since where on this topic. I noticed the waste basket has a broken area on the top (the lip area about 2 inches). The waste basket also has a second lip (for added security) a few inches from the top one which is fine. I measured the basket top circle to be 6" and the height of the basket almost 7.5" inches. In terms of getting a new waste basket, anything close to the measurement should be fine?

Also, when you mentioned lube the lid o-ring, what do you use to lube it?
    I just purchased a 2 pack of magic lube II(silicon) from amazon it was just under $20 Received it in two days!
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir

13. Back To Top    #13

Parts are one of the few things I will go to a pool store for. Take the broken one in and tell them you want one of these. With luck they won't have one broken the same way.
    12000 Gallon IG Plaster built 2/15/2014. Jandy 340 sg ft 127 gpm filter, Jandy 1 HP stealth pump. Circupool RJ-45 SWG (overkill). TF-100 with Speed Stir.

14. Back To Top    #14

Not at double to triple the cost.

15. Back To Top    #15

Did you find your pump basket?