Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help on selecting a SWG

1. Back To Top    #1

Help on selecting a SWG

I am considering buying a SWG, as I am tired of clearing the grocery store out of bleach, and lugging it around. It also would be nice to go on a vacation and not have to try and add more chlorine before I go away, and possibly come back to things being out of whack.

My pool stats are in my signature, although I might need to provide some more data on the pump flow.

This is obviously enticing because of the price, but not sure it can handle the size of my pool, and how long I would have to run it for. I am currently only running the pool for 4 hours a day.
    http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-.../dp/B0064OONXQ

Any other suggestions? Sorry if this is already covered somewhere, but please point me in the right direction.
    13500 Gal AG - Hayward Sand Filter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help on selecting a SWG

We recommend sizing the SWG for 1.5-3 times the size of your pool. I am not sure what the output of the Intex SWG is, but I would guess you would have to run your pump MUCH longer.

You would likely be better off with something like the Hayward AquaTrol (which may still be a little small if you want to continue with the short run times). You can always use one of the larger in-ground SWGs as well like the AquaRite 25k or 40k cell, but I know that is significantly more money.

- - - Updated - - -

There is an Intex that claims to work up to 15k pools, but still may need to increase run time.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Help on selecting a SWG

I would be willing to have a slightly higher run time, just don't want it to be 24 hours.
    13500 Gal AG - Hayward Sand Filter

4. Back To Top    #4

Help on selecting a SWG

You may also want to consider the cell life. One that is designed for more water volume will probably outlast one that is for less water volume. The larger unit won't be running as much. Upfront cost may be more, but in the end it could be cheaper going with one designed for larger volume.
    Just something to think about. 😎
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.