Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Generic Test Kits

1. Back To Top    #1

Generic Test Kits

Are generic test kits worth using? How do they compare to a Taylor? I found some generic OTO's on eBay, and Walmart has an AquaChem one. I'm wondering how much these vary from Taylor. I personally am more of a name brand guy, but I'm curious how these compare.

Thanks!
    Bobby (my pool)
    18,000 gallon in ground/white plaster
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Generic Test Kits

Well, they do not include the very important FAS-DPD chlorine test, so they are not in the recommended list.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

The pH works OK, but the chlorine test is limited. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential and is included in the TF-100/Taylor K2006
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

4. Back To Top    #4

Not all taylors are equal either. I'd get the tf-100 from tftestkits.net or the taylor k-2006 (same place)
    Pool size: 24000gal inground Vinyl-Taylor k-2006 and k-1766 test kits and-speed stir
    Intermatic P1353ME digital timer w/freeze sensor
    CircuPool Si-45 SWCG System
    Polaris 280 vacuum/Polaris PB4-60 boost pump
    Pentair IntelliFlo VS 3hp Pump--Pentair sand filter

5. Back To Top    #5

Oops, I asked it incorrectly. What I meant was how do the generic OTO's compare to the Taylor OTO's? Speaking of the TF-100, I've been a little confused about that. The "test kits compared" chart shows the TF-100 having more tests than the K-2006, but yet the K-2006 has more bottles of reagents. How?
    Bobby (my pool)
    Flotec pump/Aquatech MYB100 single cartridge filter - runs 6 hours/day in evening during summer

6. Back To Top    #6

Well, for one the K2006 has 2 tiny bottles of the CYA reagent while the TF-100 has one large one. The K-2006 includes the pH demand tests which are rarely needed and not part of the TF-100. I am not sure where you find that the K2006 has more bottles than the TF100 though

No idea how the generic OTO compares to the Taylor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter

7. Back To Top    #7

vs.

I was not aware of the larger CYA bottle and the missing pH demand in the TF-100. I see it now. So are all of the TF-100 reagents/FAS/other CYA stuff made by Taylor?
    Last edited by ThinkPad; 07-15-2014 at 11:45 AM. Reason: changed "smaller" to "larger"
    Bobby (my pool)

8. Back To Top    #8

Yes, all the TF-100 reagents are Taylor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkPad View Post
    I was not aware of the smaller CYA bottle and the missing pH demand in the TF-100. I see it now. So are all of the TF-100 reagents/FAS/other CYA stuff made by Taylor?
    Yes. I think you will find that most here would recomend the TF-100 for a new purchaser with the K-2006-C coming in a close second.
    TFP Moderator 39 X 18 23,000(ish) freeform gunite; built 2007ish; Pentair Triton II TR100 600lb Sand filter; 2 HP Pentair pump with 2.2 HP AO Smith single speed motor; 2 skimmers, 1 main drain, 4 returns w/waterfall, Stenner 45MHP2 3GPD running@ 60% - 15 gal Tank; heated by the sun CYA 200+ when I started - 50 now. Dolphin Supreme M5 Pool Cleaner. Hot Springs SX Spa, 285 gallon

10. Back To Top    #10

Yes, I have noticed that the TF-100 seems to be preferred. It seems to be a good deal.

If anyone knows about the generics OTO's vs Taylor's, I'm still curious.
    Bobby (my pool)

11. Back To Top    #11

As a second year pool owner I found another plus for using the TF-100 is that it is very easy and affordable to order additional any test kit items to replace that which you use up or lose. in my case I chose the "complete refill set for TF-100" to be the right way to go at the start of the new season. Could not be happier.
    19' x 37' Freeform IG; 25,500 gallons; max depth 8'6" with diving board; sun bench and swim out shelf. PebbleSheen Blue Granite Finish; Noble Tile--NVSA616 Peacock; Sandstone Retaining Wall; Oklahoma Flagstone Coping, Aggregate Deck; Small Water Feature w/ Moss Rock (70% flats and 30% boulders) Jandy Stealth 2HP Pump and CV460 Filter; AquaCal SQ156 Heat Pump/Chiller; Polaris 380 pressure cleaner w/ Halcyon boost pump.

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by FirstPoolLastPool View Post
    in my case I chose the "complete refill set for TF-100" to be the right way to go at the start of the new season. Could not be happier.
    If history is an indicator ... watch for this to go on sale in the spring, usually in March I think
    Jason, TFP Moderator

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm a new pool owner and have successfully opened my pool for the first time this year using the vast amounts of knowledge and helpful people from this site and my mutt of a pool testing kit:

Admittedly, I had purchased the HTH kit from Walmart before understanding the importance of the FAS/DPD test.
    14054472068950.jpg

My test kit has some HTH reagents but the HEART of my kit is the FAS/DPD and CYA test reagents I purchased from TFTestkits.net. I can honestly say the FAS/DPD test is the single most important test for my pool. It's the most frequent test that I do. I also ordered the CYA reagent from TFTestkits.net after I depleted what was included with the HTH kit (only enough for 2-3 tests). I will probably stick with what I have for the remainder of this pool season, but come next year, I'll most likely buy a TF-100 refill kit to start the new swim season with fresh chemistry.

I have to say the Speedstir makes testing a LOT faster and more fun.
    Pool: 19K IG, Vinyl, grecian
    Equipment: Hayward Super Pump (1hp), Cartridge Filter

14. Back To Top    #14

The reagents in various brands of OTO tests are all about the same, not the same but the differences are just not that big. However the color standards vary quite a bit. None of them, including the Taylor one are all that great, but the Taylor is the best and by a large margin in some cases.

The PH tests vary rather more between brands. Again the color references vary quite a bit, but with PH the high FC level compensation also varies significantly, with some of the off brands being unable to measure PH when FC is as low as 5.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

15. Back To Top    #15

One thing to add to Jason's comment, some of the color comparitors on the OTO various brands of OTO test only read up to 3 - 4 ppm, where the Taylor comparitor reads up to 5 ppm.
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

16. Back To Top    #16

Good point, Isaac! I've never noticed that. I went back to eBay, and the few I just saw only measure up to 3ppm, LOL! They're only ~$6 with free shipping. You can tell they're cheap just by looking at them.
    Bobby (my pool)

17. Back To Top    #17

Generic Test Kits

I would like to make a plug for the Acid Demand and Base Demand tests in the K-2006. I actually find them quite useful in determining the correct amount of acid to add to the water to raise or lower the pH.

One reason why is that I am partially red-green color blind (only slightly) so I use the acid demand drops to confirm the color that I think I see. I add a drop and if I see the color go down to a lighter shade below it on the scale, then I know I have it right.

I'm also so used to cross referencing acid demand drop count to MA additions, that I feel it's faster for me than using PoolMath.

To each his own though.

18. Back To Top    #18

FYI, I do not think the demand tests work well if your TA is "out of the norm"; while PoolMath takes the TA into effect in its calculations.
    Or maybe I do not remember correctly and am making this up

That said, I have added the acid demand reagent to my TF-100 as it certainly allows you to get a better feel for the different possible colors, even if you do not use it for the MA calcs.
    Jason, TFP Moderator