LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2014
Highland Village, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just received the gas bill for heating my pool for the month of June, it was $235.00. Being retired, I am looking for less expensive ways of keeping the water at 85°F. The pool system is currently running 12 hours per day. The current Teledyne-Laars heater is 18 years old and probably is due for replacement. By the way, I live in north Texas so the outdoor temps are not an issue.

Using a solar cover at night will help significantly with heat loss due to evaporation. I've been able to maintain my water temp in the 86-90 degree range for sometime now. That is only with heating from the sun.

Does the pool get full sun? My pool stayed at 77 degrees until I removed some trees to increase the sun exposure. I have gotten up to 84 degrees on sunny days.

Before I removed the trees I only ran my heater on the weekends which saved me a lot $$$. I didn't bother with my solar cover because it was a PITA.

How efficient is your current heater? The newer heaters are more efficient and would likely cost less to heat the pool.

Generally a solar cover works best to retain heat and it is best to remove during the day to get full sun exposure... unless you have a clear cover and those can be left on during the day.

My pool is situated under a canopy of large oak and elm trees. About 1/3 of it gets full sun but the trade-off is that in August in TX we enjoy the shade provided by the trees. We run the heater continuously but I think we will now run it only when the pool will be used. The best ROI made was installing the Intelli-flo pump last year. It is currently saving us right at $900 per year in operating costs. By the way, we currently do not have a solar cover because we like the aesthetics of sitting by the glimmering pool. No one mentioned the use of solar heater/panels. Do they work?

Many times people will have solar and some other form of heating, gas or electric. Solar will work great in the warmer months if you have the correct exposure. It would be plumbed so that the water would flow through the panels first and then thru a secondary heat source. Again though, you would only use the panels during the warmer months.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.