Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool heater alternatives

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool heater alternatives

I just received the gas bill for heating my pool for the month of June, it was $235.00. Being retired, I am looking for less expensive ways of keeping the water at 85F. The pool system is currently running 12 hours per day. The current Teledyne-Laars heater is 18 years old and probably is due for replacement. By the way, I live in north Texas so the outdoor temps are not an issue.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool heater alternatives

A heat pump would be a little less expensive to operate, but they are very expensive up front. The only option that will heat the pool significantly less expensively is a solar panel system.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Do you keep a cover of some type on the pool when you're not using it? Also, do you use the pool all year?
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

4. Back To Top    #4

We use the pool or spa year round.
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

5. Back To Top    #5

Using a solar cover at night will help significantly with heat loss due to evaporation. I've been able to maintain my water temp in the 86-90 degree range for sometime now. That is only with heating from the sun.
    Jeff
    24'x54" AG Morada RTR (by wilbar) 13'500 gal. Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1hp 2 speed. Hayward Perflex EC65 DE filter.

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by H-12 1/2 Mike View Post
    We use the pool or spa year round.
    But do you keep it covered when not in use? That is a big savings when heating it. Plus if you get any sun, it would help keep it warm as well.
    Paul
    http://www.gastekservices.com A word of caution: When working with gas and electrical you might want to consider a licensed contractor. Consider the value of your life and others around you. If you would like to provide a review of the help I provided, please use the following link to leave a review. gastek - Google Search,

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

Does the pool get full sun? My pool stayed at 77 degrees until I removed some trees to increase the sun exposure. I have gotten up to 84 degrees on sunny days.

Before I removed the trees I only ran my heater on the weekends which saved me a lot $$$. I didn't bother with my solar cover because it was a PITA.

How efficient is your current heater? The newer heaters are more efficient and would likely cost less to heat the pool.

Generally a solar cover works best to retain heat and it is best to remove during the day to get full sun exposure... unless you have a clear cover and those can be left on during the day.
    Karen
    33K IG w spa plaster, Pentair 1HP Whisperflo, DE Filter, SWG CircuPool RJ-60, Dolphin Triton Plus, Raypak Dig 336K BTU, TF-100.
    Pool Math Chlorine / CYA Chart SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain
    2017 replaster/retile

8. Back To Top    #8

My pool is situated under a canopy of large oak and elm trees. About 1/3 of it gets full sun but the trade-off is that in August in TX we enjoy the shade provided by the trees. We run the heater continuously but I think we will now run it only when the pool will be used. The best ROI made was installing the Intelli-flo pump last year. It is currently saving us right at $900 per year in operating costs. By the way, we currently do not have a solar cover because we like the aesthetics of sitting by the glimmering pool. No one mentioned the use of solar heater/panels. Do they work?
    16,400 gallon
    Cartridge Filter
    IG
    Plaster
    Intelli-Flo @ 2000rpm

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes Solar Panels work. Often very well. Depends on how much exposure they get.
    22k gallon IG pebblefina, Jandy 1.5 HP VS, Jandy CV Cartridge filter, Fafco solar panels, Polaris 360 supply side cleaner, waterfall

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

Many times people will have solar and some other form of heating, gas or electric. Solar will work great in the warmer months if you have the correct exposure. It would be plumbed so that the water would flow through the panels first and then thru a secondary heat source. Again though, you would only use the panels during the warmer months.
    Paul