Balanced, now water feels "different"

May 31, 2014
Houston
Everything seems to be holding steady, here in Houston its hot, having to add acid every couple of days.

FC=6.5
CC=0
CH=275
TA=80
CYA=50
pH=7.4

Current concern is that the water feels different than before I added CYA, raised FC and lowered pH. Its "rougher" feeling on our skin, more dried out feeling. Also fingers get "pruney" not sure if I noticed that before, or took much longer. Is this caused by the CYA, higher FC, or lower pH? Would adding borates solve this?

Have to be honest, that's the first time I've heard somebody describe their water that way. The "pruney" fingers I can also get if I'm in the water for an extended time. Otherwise I have no explanation of the roughness. The addition of borates to aid in the feel of the water will not always be noticed. I've read some people feel no difference.
Somebody else may have an idea and chime in.
If you could add all your pool and equipment info to your sig it will help us help you better. Thanks. ?

That is indeed strange. I have borates added to my pool for a number of reasons. It's a good pH buffer, and can help slow down the start of an algae bloom IF I ever accidentally let my CL level drop too low for a short period of time. My daughter has eczema, and the addition of borates does help her skin condition. We can't let her swim at all in public pools. I know borax isn't the entire reason for the better water, but I do feel it improves the feel.

See more details in the sig,

For what I know it is a little strange, the water felt more natural uncorrected. When i bought the house 2 months ago the numbers were
pH=8.2+
FC=1
CC=.5
TC=1.5
CH=300
TA=240
CYA=0

Felt great at that time, I only lowered the pH and added enough CYA to help stabilize my chlorine.

It's probably the pH. You're a little out of the recommended range of 7.5-7.8. I can always tell when my pH is a little off when I open my eyes underwater, if it's 7.6-7.7 then no burning.

At 8.2+ your water was more basic (as opposed to acidic) which may have "felt" better on your skin and felt more slippery/slick. You can add some borax to bump it up a little to get in range or monitor to see if pH naturally rises. My pool fortunately hits a happy spot of 7.6 and just sits there all season long.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pizza dough talk was moved to the Coffee Bar. CH and its effect on Pizza Dough... Zea3
I think this very subjective but I always feel like my skin is a lot dryer and "crusty" when I swim in high CH water. I grew up in the NY where there's very little Ca in the water, the water is more acidic and usually has a good amount of iron in it (and it's the only water that can make good pizza dough, but that's a topic for a different TFP thread). That water always feels better on my skin. I now live in the SW where we can't get CH below 280ppm unless you have a solid water softner.

So my vote is for CH as the problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.