Questions about new Pool Build

pmd013

Sep 9, 2010
Niagara Falls, NY
Hoping someone can answer my concerns. We are getting ready to pull the trigger on an IG pool. In my signature is the specs for what we are considering.
Does the equipment my PB selected seem sized appropriately for this pool? Plumbing will be 1.5" flex pipe and will be placed about 15 feet away from the shallow end of the pool if that helps.
Also my biggest concern is having the 2 floor returns and 1 wall return. There is no main drain and from what I gather here that is no problem. But I am wondering if I am asking for leaks or problems with the floor returns (this is not an in floor cleaning system). We do have hard freezes here in the winter. And is one wall return enough to move the water to the skimmers efficiently? Any insight would be great. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP

Your pump is probably ok in size, but you should have a 2 speed to cut your power costs. I would also go with 2 inch pvc, especially on the suction side. 1 1/2 on the return side is ok. Generally its best to get a larger filter than your pool size calls for.

I suspect the builder is using the floor returns so yo get better circulation in the pool. Do you have a deep end? Without the returns in the floor you could end up with areas with poor circulation.

I have no idea how easy or difficult this will be to close or open in each year.

I'd want more than one wall return. Aiming the returns is really what helps circulation the most. I've never seen floor returns (Not saying it's a bad idea, it's just strange to me). If I was going to have anything in the floor I'd prefer it be a drain. (I'm in the camp that thinks drains are good/worthwhile).

On the inline chlorine feeder, I would suggest you look into this. See if it's a tablet feeder, or a liquid chlorine feeder. Personally I'd ask for the liquid chlorine feeder or nothing. If you're curious as to why, check out pool school above.

I don't understand the sizing for the cartridge, should I ask him to up my filter to the Sta-Rite 300? Would that be large enough? I will ask him about the 2 inch on the suction side. I was wondering about that myself. The pool will not have a deep end it will go from 3 1/2 feet to 5 1/2 feet. I prefer to be able to touch the ground as much as possible but want it deep enough that my 10 year old wont get hurt jumping in (NO DIVING!).
I don't know what will be involved with closing. They will do my first closing for me so I plan to watch them and learn. Hopefully nothing to complicated, I am not diving to plug return lines! Lol!
So how does everyone else feel about this set up with the 2 floor returns and 1 wall return , 2 skimmers. Should I have good circulation? Anyone see any problems, or future problems. Its impossible to find info on this set up. The only thing I keep finding anywhere close is in floor cleaning systems but they have way more floor returns and wall returns. I see the potential for leaks, that worries me.

I don't see the need for floor returns. I'd put them all on the wall opposite the skimmers.

You are thinking you need them because he is suggesting them? I wouldn't put much weight behind anything that is not seen as common practice on the pools built here. Some do get them but they seem to be more common on pools with deep ends to aid in evening out the temperature differences from high to low.

I also like main drains myself though not necessary.

Since your pool has no deep end I'd be inclined to stay with the returns in the walls. Less for folks to step on. Why does PB recommend floor returns?

Filters: The 200 is large enough for your pool. But with filters, especially cartridge filters bigger is better. They are tedious to clean. Through cleaning requires 1 to 2 hours depending on the size. But if you get a larger filter you have to clean it less often and it exerts less backpresure on your system. It means cleaning your filter twice a year rather than four times a year.

The floor returns appear pretty flush so I don't think stepping on them is an issue. I don't mind having floor returns I can see the benefit of the deeper circulation, as long as no one knows of any real problems with them there as far as leaks or winterizing issues, etc.? I do agree that there should be more than one wall return thou to push water to the skimmers. So I am thinking I should go with the two floor returns, two stair returns, and ask about two wall returns . So with 6 returns am I still good with the 3/4 HP pump?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.