SWG not producing chlorine

Jul 6, 2014
Ceres, ca
Purchased new circupool si 30 about a month ago. Having to clean cell every three days due to calcium buildup on plates. Also have flakes coming out of return lines. Salt reading at 3400 right after cleaning then goes down. We have a pebble tec pool at 22000 gallons. About 10 years old. Just purchased a Taylor K-2005 complete high test kit.
CYA 70
PH 7.2
TA 80
FC 0
Calcium 600
Salt level 3400

Have run SWG on super chlorinate for days and level has not raised.
Running pump from 4pm to 11pm. Weather here is average 95degrees. Had algae several months ago and treated with super shock packets. Shouldn't the chlorinator produce the chlorine levels needed to sanitize pool?

Welcome to TFP!

A SWG is not designed to raise the FC level up from zero. You should get everything balanced and stable manually and then let the SWG take over. At this point you most likely need to SLAM the pool.

The calcium scaling is going to pose a long term problem for the SWG. If you are constantly needing to clean the cell it's lifetime will be much shorter. You either need to keep the PH down around 7.2 or you could try adding borates to the water, though regardless you need to keep the PH under control or you will get scaling on the pool not just the SWG.

I found that out, just received the kit in mail this evening when arrived from out of town.
We poured at least 10 55oz bottles of concentrated 8.25 percent bleach in the two days before we left town on Friday and brushed and vacuumed.
Here are readings from today:
PH-7.4
ALK-70
Calcium Hardness-600
CYA-80
I am a little confused with the new test fas/did that I did tonite.
I am coming up with 2 ppm FC and .5 ppm CC
I did the 1 drop 0.5 using the 10 ml sample.
Seems like after adding all that bleach Wed and Thursday should have given me higher levels.
We turned the SWG off through this process and is still off.
Water is clear though.

We just got back into town, will try tonite.
I am thinking we may have to Slam the right way.
We just did not want to have to come back to a green pool since the chlorine level on the 2005 kit showed 0.
Now that we have have the right kit, I will do the overnite test then post results tomorrow.
There is no algae showing in pool and water is clear.

Ok so I did an overnite test
Nite test= FC 2, CC .5
AM Test= FC 1.5, CC .5

Today Pool Water Results 7pm
FC 1
CC .5
CH 575
ALK 80
PH 8.2 freaking high again!

Tap Water Results=
CH 75
ALK 175

We have a pebble tec pool, I don't see recommended levels for this type only plaster.
My husband turned salt cell back on and set on superclorinate and put Half gallon of acid in.
Will check again in an hour. ��������������

For PebbleTec, use the recommended levels for plaster.

If the SWG is not maintaining an appropriate FC level, you need to do so manually.

With CH around 600 it is critical that you keep the PH at or below 7.8 at all times. Otherwise you will get calcium scaling in the SWG and it will cut back or stop producing chlorine until cleaned. Calcium scaling also reduces the cell lifetime. Keeping the PH under control may well require daily acid additions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.