Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pipe Rat's Concrete Block pool build.....

1. Back To Top    #1

Pipe Rat's Concrete Block pool build.....

Hey everyone since this is my first post let me introduce myself. My name is Doug and I am from the St. Louis Missouri area. I have done alot of reading on here and decided to tackle building my own pool. I have the slab poured and the first 3 courses stacked up. It's (past) time to get my plumbing fittings ordered and I am looking for input on skimmers, returns, lights and a wall drain that works well with block construction. I understand that I may just have to make them fit but there may be some that are easier than others. Any input appreciated.

This will be a vinyl liner 19x28 with a 54" water depth throughout. Vertical rebar every other course, all cores filled with concrete and bond beam at the top of the wall. All rebar also to be bonded.

Plumbing placement advice needed as well.

Attached is a proposed plumbing layout for your critique as I am winging it here. LOL

Also do you think 2 lights are enough? Planning on going LED. Sorry so long on the first post. Thanks for any advice given and thanks for looking.

Pool Plumbing.pdf

IMG_1256 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1250 (Medium).jpg

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Another DIY Concrete Block pool build.....

All I can say is put the skimmer at the extreme downwind end, no matter how long a pipe run that means. Otherwise the slightest breeze will send everything right past the skimmer to the downwind end where it waterlogs and sinks so you can vacuum it out.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Two LED lights in this size pool will be very nice. The shallower depth also helps to brighten up the impact of the lights.

I'm not sure if he did it for this reason but my skimmers are directly above my lights. Since bugs are attracted to the lights, they go very quickly to never never land. Remember to face your lights away from your house. I wanted my skimmers facing away from my house as i don't like looking into them. The downwind theory is likely sound for skimmers. Our wind varies but our flow straight across the pool towards the skimmers works pretty efficiently.

Good luck! You are off to a great start.
    18'x38' Rectangle (3'-8 1/2' deep w/ diving board) - 27K gal. w/ gray plaster
    Hayward equipment (cartridge filter, 2-speed pump, SWCG, automation) View Our Build
    Coverstar automatic pool cover | StoneMakers concrete retaining wall and decking
    Spring 2013 Build | Dolphin Active 20 robot cleaner | Support TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks Richard.
    Hmmmm........was going to add a few more pics but the webpage is saying Iv'e use 210kb out of 250 allowed. Iv'e only posted one pdf and two resized pictures.
    How do I post more pic's?
    Don't ya hate noobs? LOL

Edit: I just looked at the price of LED lighting, I'm thinking one light will have to do. LOL

5. Back To Top    #5

16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6

Re: Pipe Rat's Concrete Block pool build.....

Just a few more pics.........lots of work ahead.

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

You are doing so much better than I did. There will be days when you will quit @ 2:00PM and open a cold one and wonder why you ever started.

Simply look back at how far you have come.

Your work looks really nice and we will all follow your progress and be interested in every pic you can share.

Keep pluggin' We're rooting for you.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Thanks Duraleigh. I have read your pool thread and you did an awesome job on a giant pool and gave me the courage to undertake this DIY project.

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks awesome, keep up the good work!

Because I'm a first-time pool builder/owner, I chose to stick with most items from a single vendor. I chose Hayward for my pump, filter, skimmer, returns and bottom drain equipment. Shopped online and got what I thought were pretty good prices on everything.

10. Back To Top    #10

Getting ready for the weekend blitz. I made a couple boxes to load and set my sand and gravel in the hole where my mixer and cement are. I am probably over doing the steel but you have two amatuer camps. One doesn't put enough and the other puts too much simply because we don't know the standard. I lean to the overbuilt camp. I'm going to grout my first 3 courses and stack more where I can and grout more. Weather is gonna be nice. I still haven't got my plumbing parts for the walls so that may hinder some things but certainly have plenty to do if i think about it clearly.

11. Back To Top    #11

P.S. I own my own equipment so it makes some of the tasks a little easier.

12. Back To Top    #12

I'm not familiar with this type of a build but I'm curious, is there not a main bottom drain in this type of pool?
    21,000 gallon pool w/spa, Pebble Sheen, Hayward EcoStar variable speed filter pump, Hayward DE6020 Filter, Hayward 400FDN Heater, Stenner pump with 15 gallon tank, Clear O3 ozone system, Hayward Goldline PS-8 controller, Hayward 6060 cleaner pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, Hayward EcoStar variable speed water feature pump.

13. Back To Top    #13

I'm not putting in a main drain but I may do one in the sidewall down low. I haven't made my mind up yet. From reading on this site several people feel they are optional.

14. Back To Top    #14

What ever happened to this build? Looked promising.

Several off topic replies have been removed. JasonLion
    16,000 Gal Pool. Chlorine. In Ground. Jandy 580 sq ft DE Filter. Lots of Sunlight. Spa In Ground. pentair whisper flo 1.5 Horsepower pump. Pool filter runs about 7 or 8 hours a day on timer. Southern California. Hayward Auto Pool Vac. Pool is 7 years old.

15. Back To Top    #15

I am back on track again actually. Work got busy, winter set in and the spring rains didn't stop. Work has also gotten even busier but we are making progress. I will post some updated pics tomorrow. Still a long ways to go.

16. Back To Top    #16

In the Industry

Keep the faith, PR. I have pretty much sworn never to reveal exactly how much time mine took to build but you are still way ahead of me.

Just keep saying, "I'm further along than I was last week."

We all love pics.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

17. Back To Top    #17

We are moving along again. Weather and busy at work delays, etc. Poured the concrete decking Saturday, pics to follow. Added a bathroom building, extra plumbing and conduits for future use. Plans include cutting a french door into the master bedroom with a deck. Stay tuned.

18. Back To Top    #18

TFP Guide

Hey, it's looking great! I'm so impressed that no matter the job or weather, you keep getting back to it. That takes determination!

When you get a chance, add the details of your pool build to your signature. That helps this lazy old lady from having to look for them when I've forgotten them. Thanks and take care! Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

19. Back To Top    #19

Thanks for looking. Sorry these pics are not in chronological order. The concrete is poured and we are full steam ahead, at least as much as my energy allows. LOL It is tons of work DIY for the majority of the work but I enjoy it and get a certain amount of satisfaction building things myself. Enjoy.

20. Back To Top    #20

TFP Guide

Well, I am thoroughly enjoying reading about your build
    and all the great pictures! Don't worry about the order.

It's amazing to me how anyone can build their own pool! I can only imagine the satisfaction you get from doing it yourself! Thanks so much for sharing your work with us. Suz.
    Suz~Cypress area~ 2015 pool build. 23K gallons. IG swcg system. 35'x18'; 573sf; 104' perim; depth 4'-7'. Bubblers, sheer descents, 7' spa. Jandy: color LEDs; 2HP 2sp pump; 1HP 2sp pump; spa pump; 580 cartridge; 400K BTU; Dolphin M500; PS8; Inline chlorinator not used; Aqua Pure 1400. Blue Granite Sheen. Travertine deck. Lightstreams Peacock Blue TF-100, K-1766, SpeedStir

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast