Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: So as it turns out, my controller is set up for salt....

1. Back To Top    #1

So as it turns out, my controller is set up for salt....

If I decided at some point to add it, what would I be looking at, cost and difficulty-wise? Is it something you can do yourself, or does it require professional install?

Incidentally, the way I found out was because my controller kept beeping. When I asked the PB why it was doing it, he said something along the lines of 'It is set up for salt, but you don't have it. You can ignore the beep.'.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: So as it turns out, my controller is set up for salt....

What kind of controller are you talking about? Did the PB say why it was "set up for salt"? Salt water chlorine generators (SWG) require their own controllers.

As far as adding one yourself, the plumbing is generally straight forward, but are you comfortable with DIY electrical? The cost depends on the size of your pool.
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
    What kind of controller are you talking about? Did the PB say why it was "set up for salt"? Salt water chlorine generators (SWG) require their own controllers.

As far as adding one yourself, the plumbing is generally straight forward, but are you comfortable with DIY electrical? The cost depends on the size of your pool.
    I took a pic of the part of the controller that was beeping.

I am not an electrician. I could certainly find one, should I decide it was worth it in the end.

4. Back To Top    #4

That is a SWG, though I don't recognize the brand. The beeping is apparently because the salt level is too low for the SWG to work.

It seems very likely that if you add salt the SWG will start working.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    That is a SWG, though I don't recognize the brand. The beeping is apparently because the salt level is too low for the SWG to work.

It seems very likely that if you add salt the SWG will start working.
    Wouldn't there be another piece somewhere inline on the plumbing?

6. Back To Top    #6

Yes, there should be a unit with the cell plates installed in the plumbing and connected to the control panel with a cable. If the cable wasn't plugged in I would expect to see a different error message.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

7. Back To Top    #7

I think that is the part I would need to add - the piece with the cell plates.

8. Back To Top    #8

I suppose that is possible, but it doesn't make any sense. Why install the control box without installing a cell?

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion View Post
    I suppose that is possible, but it doesn't make any sense. Why install the control box without installing a cell?
    My guess? Something was ordered and put in wrong and they don't want to yank it back out.

10. Back To Top    #10

It appears to be a Jandy AquaPure PureLink. I've attached a link to the Jandy/Zodiac manual for the system. The item that you may be missing, the "Cell with Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor", is shown on the drawing on page 8. You may also need the Chlorine Generator Transformer, shown on page 10. If the controller is already wired, adding the cell should be straight forward.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0325600.ashx
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

11. Back To Top    #11

Why not add more pictures of the equipment and plumbing to see if there is anything obvious to us.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

12. Back To Top    #12

Quote Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
    It appears to be a Jandy AquaPure PureLink. I've attached a link to the Jandy/Zodiac manual for the system. The item that you may be missing, the "Cell with Flow/Temp/Salinity Sensor", is shown on the drawing on page 8. You may also need the Chlorine Generator Transformer, shown on page 10. If the controller is already wired, adding the cell should be straight forward.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/~/m.../H0325600.ashx
    I found something similar last night (seemed like the whole catalog), and it said that you could use that one or the Nature2 Fusion salt system. It seems like I managed to pay (without knowing...rather irritating) for a chunk of a salt system.

13. Back To Top    #13

If you have a Nature2 Fusion Soft, then that is a SWG combined with a mineral system. There is also a Nature2 Fusion that is a combination chlorine tab feeder and mineral system. There can be problems with mineral systems, including staining of the pool and green hair. It sounds like you have the one with the SWG. If that is the case, you probably need to add salt so the SWG portion will work. I don't have any experience with them myself, but it seems like a lot of people recommend disabling the mineral portion of the system.
    14k gal IG vinyl, Jandy Flopro 1 hp up-rated, 2 spd pump, Hayward 325 sq ft cartridge filter, Circupool Si-40 SWCG