New motor but lower pressure

Strom

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 18, 2009
Greenwood, Indiana
I had to replace my pump motor this past weekend. The old motor was 1 HP with a 1.4 safety factor. The new motor, although from a different manufacturer, has the same specs, 1 HP with a 1.4 safety factor. My concern is that the old motor would show 15 PSI on the filter pressure gauge. The new motor only shows 9 PSI. I've confirmed with two different pressure gauges.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I concerned about something that doesn't really matter?

That is very strange. It may or may not be a problem, but it is worth looking into further.

Do you see any air in the pump strainer basket?

Could there be a valve somewhere on the suction side of the pump that got moved so the flow into the pump is restricted compared to what it was before?

Thanks for the reply Jason.

There are no bubbles in the strainer. I also confirmed that the main drain and skimmer suction valves are open 100%. I'll borrow a clamp on amp meter from work and confirm the motor is pulling nameplate amps.

Problem is solved and turned out to be a case of pilot error. The motor is dual voltage rated for 230 or 115 volt operation. It is shipped to run on 230. I read but misunderstood the instructions on how to set the motor up for 115 volt operation. The reason the pressure read low was due to supplying 115 volts to a 230 volt motor. Once the internal motor wiring was corrected, everything was back to normal.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.