Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New motor but lower pressure

1. Back To Top    #1

New motor but lower pressure

I had to replace my pump motor this past weekend. The old motor was 1 HP with a 1.4 safety factor. The new motor, although from a different manufacturer, has the same specs, 1 HP with a 1.4 safety factor. My concern is that the old motor would show 15 PSI on the filter pressure gauge. The new motor only shows 9 PSI. I've confirmed with two different pressure gauges.

Is there something I'm missing? Am I concerned about something that doesn't really matter?
    Strom

16 x 32 Inground Vinyl, Infinity 2000 Automatic Cover
    Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates, Zeosand

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: New motor but lower pressure

That is very strange. It may or may not be a problem, but it is worth looking into further.

Do you see any air in the pump strainer basket?

Could there be a valve somewhere on the suction side of the pump that got moved so the flow into the pump is restricted compared to what it was before?
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks for the reply Jason.

There are no bubbles in the strainer. I also confirmed that the main drain and skimmer suction valves are open 100%. I'll borrow a clamp on amp meter from work and confirm the motor is pulling nameplate amps.
    Strom

Hayward S210T 2.2 sq ft Sand Filter with 1 HP Speck Badu EcoM3V Pump, Hayward H200 Heater
    Dolphin DX4 w/remote, CircuPool RJ-30 SWG, Taylor K-2006, SpeedStir, Borates, Zeosand

4. Back To Top    #4

Did you change the seal and check the impeller when you had it apart?

5. Back To Top    #5

New seal installed and checked impeller. I was happily surprised by the lack of hair in the impeller. (Wife and two daughters with long black hair.)
    Strom

6. Back To Top    #6

Are both motors rated for the same number of rpms?
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

7. Back To Top    #7

Problem is solved and turned out to be a case of pilot error. The motor is dual voltage rated for 230 or 115 volt operation. It is shipped to run on 230. I read but misunderstood the instructions on how to set the motor up for 115 volt operation. The reason the pressure read low was due to supplying 115 volts to a 230 volt motor. Once the internal motor wiring was corrected, everything was back to normal.
    Strom